Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "At the start of the action round..."  (Read 2253 times)

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
"At the start of the action round..."
« on: December 29, 2012, 02:35:03 pm »

So the recent highlight of the Iron Lady card event and how the USSR cannot use the card's ops to place influence in Argentina unless they already had influence adjacent to Argentina at the start of the AR made me rethink how this rule is worded. What if the player had influence in a country but then that country had its influence removed by the event's text after the AR began?

Let's say for example that the US has 2 influence in Egypt and Libya but no other adjacent countries (none in Sudan, Tunisia, or even Israel). Then the US plays Muslim Revolutions and the USSR removes their influence from Egypt and Libya. Can the US then use the 4ops to immediately replace it? Even if they lost the influence, it was there 'at the start of the action round.'

My way of playing has always been "The influence is gone and no direct line back to Egypt and Libya means it can't be replaced," but now I'm not sure.

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
Re: "At the start of the action round..."
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 03:03:58 pm »

I thought it was supposed to be "You have to have influence there, and you had to have influence there at the start of the AR"

seppo0010

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:31:29 pm »

Quoting the rules:

However, all markers must be placed with, or adjacent to, friendly markers that were in place at the start of the phasing player’s Action Round.

I understand that it says that must be and must have been at the beginning of the AR.

Julio

• You are not a cylon!
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
    • Partidas al Twilight Struggle
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 02:28:57 am »

I understand that it says that must be and must have been at the beginning of the AR.
+1

However, all markers must be placed with, or adjacent to, friendly markers that were in place at the start of the phasing player’s Action Round.

According to the rule, you can place markers adjacent to markers that were in place.
If theses markers are now out of the board, are you going to place your new markers outside too?
Partidas al Twilight Struggle. Spanish blog with AAR of some games and other TS considerations.

Nightlyraver

• Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:41:44 am »

Quoting the rules:

Read it more carefully.  It's stating that there are 2 conditions to placing influence.  1.  You must place influence adjacent to a country where you already have influence.  2.  Said existing influence must have been on the board at the start of the AR.

Vell

• Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 08:06:28 am »
+1

Let's see. The rules say

"...friendly markers that were in place at the start of the phasing player’s Action Round."

and it has already been stated that you can't place influence in Argentina unless already had influence adjacent to it at the start of the AR after playing the Iron Lady card.

Then I believe that the answer to the question should be pretty clear.

If there is no influence at the start of the Phasing player's AR you can't place influence even though there is influence later on since the "check for influence" is made at the start of the AR (rulebook) and lasts until AR is finished (Iron Lady case). The same reasoning should work on the other case Cal raised, if there was influence when the "Influence presence check" was made, then you should be able to place influence there, or adjacent to, even if later on the influece was wiped out.

That seems to be the logical conclusion.

Thoughts on that?...

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:09:44 am by Vell »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.