Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 2892 times)

Riku Riekkinen

• Respect: +15
    • View Profile
Hi!
« on: December 30, 2012, 07:35:14 am »

I was a very successful competitive boardgame player before I encountered TS. I instantly hated it. It drove a good wargamers from the games that have battlelines & strategy to a stupid influence placement fest. However since it was far easier to get opponents to TS than to many other games, I forced myself to play it. Then I grew to like it and played it alot.

In TS I'm "famous" for leaving WG empty. I was called for about 3 years mad for suggesting it. But as I was confident it was quite solid opening, I suggested it always when it seemed appropriate. Now I'm kind of glad that when I suggest it and tell why I would do so people actually read what I've written instead of questioning my sanity (and more importantly annoyingly disrailing the startegy discussion usually  ;D).

I play ftf & at wargameroom (as Riku or Riekkinen). I used to play PBEM for some games, but currently feel they are not worth the time. very interested in Vassal, but so far haven't got it going.

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 02:12:38 pm »

In TS I'm "famous" for leaving WG empty. I was called for about 3 years mad for suggesting it. But as I was confident it was quite solid opening, I suggested it always when it seemed appropriate. Now I'm kind of glad that when I suggest it and tell why I would do so people actually read what I've written instead of questioning my sanity (and more importantly annoyingly disrailing the startegy discussion usually  ;D).

Madness!

Only joking. I look forward to hearing this empty W. Germany strategy someday.

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 03:24:24 pm »

I think that 2 France, 1 Italy, 1 Greece, 1 Turkey, 1 Spain, 1 Canada, headlining Marshall plan is a solid opening. The problem with not taking West Germany is that you're giving up your chance at Europe domination.

Riku Riekkinen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 06:14:17 pm »

Madness!

Only joking. I look forward to hearing this empty W. Germany strategy someday.

I'm quite sure you have heard it already. I'm saying that when I started to talk about leaving WG empty there were a lot of people saying that its sure way to lose & its too stupid idea even ever to be tested. So I'm talking about the general concept leaving WG empty was somehow almost off limits for strategy discussion. Which might sound as strange to you now that it sounded to me then.

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 02:21:12 pm »

It seems leaving W. Germany empty would be so you can activate Blockade without discarding a card. But this means you'd have to have Blockade in your hand, and either headline it or play it on AR1 (putting the influence in W. Germany after the event). Otherwise you'd risk the USSR just taking all of W. Germany at once.

If you do attempt Vassal, please let me know. Vassal is my primary method of playing these days and I think it would be very interesting to play against you.

Chimista

• Wargameroom username: chimista
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 06:55:19 am »

I think it's an interesting aproach. I normally go for a 4 W. Germany 3 Italy standard setup, then keep a 3ops card in my hand at all times in case of Blocade. Normally this is not a problem and can even be beautiful (Discarding DeStal in T3 to Blocade feels great). But it's risky, since as US you never have too many ops and can forget to hold a 3ops until AR6 and then have to pray your oponent doesn't blocade you (happened to me often).

Even if USSR takes W. Germany you can still avoid domination by taking instead the mediterranean countries + UK + Canada and eventually fight for France, after De Gaulle has been properly dealt with. You are risking up to -4 VP (If USSR controls Poland, E. and W. Germany and France w/o dominating Europe) but you can prevent the ugly situation of losing W. Germany + the Ip's invested (Due to a Red Scare + Blocade combo, or any other situation which leaves you w/o 3 ops cards), which can really hurt your feelings.

If I get Marshall in T1 I normally headline it placing 3 in WG and so taking it, but leaving W. Germany empty could be interesting as well. "Sacrificing" Europe and focus in other regions may well pay the investment.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:57:55 am by Chimista »

Riku Riekkinen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 08:56:34 am »

I actually worry currently about WG so little I don't even always setup in any country next to it.

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 02:28:43 pm »

3 West Germany, 2 France, 1 Italy, 1 Greece, headlining Marshall Plan, is one of the strongest US openings, I feel. US has a good chance of scoring Europe for Domination in the Early War.

Riku Riekkinen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 08:03:25 pm »

Yes, Marshall plan is a great headline. Putting IPs to France however is still rare to me. Been meaning to test it again, if I don't have also DeGaulle.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.