Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Top 10 best events  (Read 4248 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
Top 10 best events
« on: October 21, 2012, 02:40:11 pm »

I had considered writing this post a while ago, but my top 10 list keeps changing.  I suppose if I had to write the list now, it would be:

1. Red Scare / Purge
2. De-Stalinization
3. Wargames
4. Decolonization
5. Grain Sales to Soviets
6. The Voice of America
7. ABM Treaty
8. Junta
9. Brush War
10. SALT Negotiations

What do you think?

ddddddd

• Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 best events
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 04:59:16 pm »

Interesting how you have two US, two USSR and six neutral events. A measure of how well balanced the game is?

At first glance, those are all great events (for the appropriate superpower). I'd say that Quagmire/BT could be candidates, but unless the opponent is unlucky or is under RS/P, they can be a damp squib.

bsheehan34

• Wargameroom username: brad_ts
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 05:24:38 pm »

Such a tough question because different situations in every game make certain cards more/less powerful at any given time. I'm gonna make it "the 10 events that make me happiest when I draw them"

1. Destal
2. Decol
3. Purge
4. Wargames
5. Grain sales
6. ABM treaty
7. Voice of America
8. Containment/brehznev
9. Junta
10. Brush war

trevaur

• Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 10:40:04 pm »

This question can't really be answered because of how different the events can be in the different stages of the game. For example, I think in the early war the best card is De-stalinization because of how drastic of an impact it can have on the game based on who gets it. However, in the late war it is almost useless. The same goes for puppet governments. Decolonization and Colonial Rear Guards have basically the same effect in the Mid and Late war, but Decolonization comes out in the early war. Does that make Decolonization better? Not really because you can only really compare two cards that are accessible at a given time in the game. I think it would make much more sense to make 3 separate lists of top 10 cards available in the early/mid/late war. And even then, it really depends on board positioning for a lot of them (Puppet governments is amazing on turn 4, but almost useless on turn 7, so it's hard to put it on a list of top mid war cards).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:48:33 pm by trevaur »

jpwrunyan

• Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 11:18:07 pm »
+1

Games are pointless.  You should focus on personal survival and procreation to the exclusion of all else.

trevaur

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 11:50:58 pm »
+1

I think it's pretty clear that your comment did not add anything to the discussion, so I'm not going to bother arguing with you.

jpwrunyan

• Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 12:05:22 am »

My point was that your response was ignoring the generalization implicit in the original post.  Your dismissal of the op as pointless was itself missing the point.  I did this by doing the same thing to you.  I had a good laugh.  I assume you did too based on your "i'm not replying to your reply" reply.  Where you chose not to argue with my non-argument (which means you agree with its assertion).  It shows you have a sense of humor.  I like that.  I enjoy such forums like this where the members dont take themselves too seriously.

Cheers!

trevaur

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 12:21:58 am »

Ok, but I wasn't dismissing the op as pointless. I was saying that he was asking us to compare apples and oranges, and my response was that we should try to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. I originally said that "this question is pointless" in that I meant that you can't compare apples to oranges. That was the first 4 words of my post, and if you had read on you would have seen that I clarified what I meant. Regardless, I changed the wording from "This question is pointless" to "This question can't really be answered" to avoid misinterpretation.

Ioan76_TM

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 04:22:03 am »
+2

My personal list would be the following :

1. Wargames - the only card which can win the game on its own so IMHO it deserve the 1st place. :)
2. Red Scare / Purge - Always a big trouble - and usually RS/P multiple time on the same player is a game-winning.
3. Voice of America - A recurent event which (a) create an impact double its OPs value; (b) could be totally disruptive in T4-5 because may remove all USSR presence from a region but also could swing contested region(s) in later turns; (c) it cannot be prevented/canceled ...
4. Junta - a potential-killing card for 2 regions which may give the edge on scoring.
5. De-Stalinization - only 5th place because it's the best Soviet events but only if get played early in the game ( let's say until T5 ) - after this it became less and less powerful.
6. Decolonization/Colonial Rear Guards - I know that the first one came in Early War and its usually perceived to be stronger but IMHO the US-counterpart is almost similary strong due to capacity to offer a counter in volatile African region to "Soviet first-coup" and gain/consolidate SouthEast Asia. :)
7. Ask Not What Your Country… - the only card in the game which allows to not score one or more region and lost valuable VPs and possible the game.
8. Grain Sales to Soviets - only on 8th because the result could be sometime "uncontrolled".
9. ABM Treaty - just with a note : for US if NORAD is active this card is even better ... so probably would deserve a higher position in this scenario.

And for last position I don't have a clear winner ... and I'll list 4 cards considering the from situation/side :

10. a. Brush War - very usefull in the beginning in MidWar when target countries tend to be "isolated", but latter on the game usually players protect BGs with control in neighborhood so it became more and more ... "dicey". But probably still the better neutral 10th place.
b. Star Wars - the prerequisite may be hard to accomplish but if this happen ... I'll rate this as the best Late War event for US -considering the fact that the retrieved event occurs IMMEDIATELY so the opponent will have no time to react/prepare !  ;)
c. The Reformer - this could either offer the key for USSR' survival in Europe in LateWar or may assure a Domination ( especially if it offers 6 Influences ) - so I'll rate it as the best Soviet event in LateWar.  :)
d. SALT Negotiations - Good because of "digging capability" but increasing DEFCON may prove dangerous ... and also the card retrieved will be played latter, need a tempo for this so the opponent may react.
e Containment/Brehznev doctrine - very strong cards just if played by "their" player. Otherwise ...

I'm awaiting you comments/criticism. :)

P.S. : Maybe is a mistake to give to strong LateWar events lower position in the list but ... usually the game either end or are virtually decided earlier so ...  ::)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:39:11 am by Ioan76_TM »

Nightlyraver

• Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 07:42:45 am »
+1

I would say that it is not really a fair question.  The beauty of this game is that all cards can be incredibly powerful in the right situation.  In my last game, the most powerful card was How I Learned... since that resulted in giving me 5 points and the auto-win.  And in the same game, my opponent played Red Scare and it had almost no effect since I had a couple of 4-ops and the rest were almost all 1-ops anyway.   No one has mentioned Chernobyl.  Is that one of the best events for the US?  It is when it enables the US to control Europe (not common).  Cuban Missle Crisis is useless, unless the USSR has no influence in Cuba.

I would say that the neutral events that are "great" probably have a higher propensity to swing the balance of power, but not overly so:  ABM, Junts, Brush War, Red S/P, and maybe SALT in the right situation. 

And then you have the events that could be really good in each deck, provided that the appropriate player draws it, at the right time in the game:  containment/brezhnev, decol/rear guards, destal, voice of America, grain sales, tear down this wall/the reformer, Truman doctrine (in certain situations), Warsaw pact (in the late war).

Billw147

• Wargameroom username: Billw147
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 01:43:11 pm »
+2

Top 10 Events, rated mostly by the fact that they almost always have a significant impact on the game, no matter who draws them (sometimes for differing reasons):  Early war events tend to rate more highly for obvious reasons.

1.     Destalinization – game changing event if drawn by USSR in Early War and a must hold/space card for US (often creating other problems eg Blockade).  Remember seeing stats somewhere that this is most played card when USSR wins
2.     Decolinisation – similar to above with subtle difference that not quite as powerful but is a recurring event
3.     Red Scare/Purge – Always powerful (whoever draws it) and can be devastating if played on an opponent more than once and in specific circumstances but does mean losing 4 ops and the chance to play another headline, so hence only number 3 on my list
4.     Suez Crisis – if drawn by USSR in turn one, can eradicate US from Middle east with no easy route back in.  USSR can then focus almost entirely on Asia as no challenge in Middle East.  Generally a wasted action if drawn by US as almost always need to repair most/all its damage
5.     Voice of America  - always powerful and USSR hates to play this event
6.     Grain Sales - always powerful and USSR hates to play this event.  Even if the card received is poor, it can still be a very strong to force USSR to play all cards or have to play China Card
7.     ABM Treaty – very powerful card with many uses for both sides.  Cannot think of a scenario where it would not be more beneficial to play as an event
8.     CIA Created / Lone Gunman – similar effects from both as defcon traps and cards you hate to draw as enemy cards.  Whilst each have slightly different subtleties, on balance both broadly rated equally
9.     Marshall Plan – Fantastically good if drawn by US in Turn 1 as gives lots of set up options and always some benefit to US when played early war (eg influence helps against numerous events).  Card will almost always be played by USSR as unlikely to give up 4 ops
10.  NORAD – possibly not a Top 10 but added here to be a bit different.  Probably the card which divides opinion the most, but an early war card that often causes major headaches for USSR when in play (whoever played it), significantly impacting the USSR’s main game advantage, that being the “AR1 play”

Special note to:
Containment and Letter to Brezhnev as very powerful events if drawn by their respective sides, but not in Top 10 as almost useless events if drawn by enemy.
Wargames  - the mere presence of this event in the game is more of an impact on the way the mid to late game is played than the actual playing of the card itself.  Whilst playing the card can pull a win from the brink of defeat, that is only in certain circumstances.  Firstly it has to be drawn by the right side at the right time and secondly, there is a reasonable chance the person who played it to win will have gone on to win the game in any case.

Obviously there are many events that in the right circumstances can be game changing (eg 5 year plan or Ask Not... to discard scoring cards) and some events you always want to see (Junta, Brush War etc), but my Top 10 list focussed on events that are almost always powerful whenever drawn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.