Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hypotetical, unlikely, silly situations  (Read 5209 times)

Chimista

• Wargameroom username: chimista
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Hypotetical, unlikely, silly situations
« on: January 29, 2013, 07:21:29 am »

I recently did a silly move in an online game. Maybe I'd had one too many (games :P ) and wasn't really focused, so I tried to realign my enemy with really bad odds in a country we both had presence and ended up realigning myself out .

This made me wonder about a hypotetical scenario where I could want to actually realign myself out and noticed that even if very unlikey it's (hipotetically) possible:

- The USSR player in last AR stuck with CIA and no chance to hold it due to 5YP. Defcon is 2 and USSR has IP's in ONE BG in the Midwar regions. CIA is thus a Defcon suicide unless USSR manages to realign himself out.

- The US player in a similar situation with Lone Gunman. Even more unlikely than the previous, to see the US with influence in only one BG in the Midwar regions in T4 or later (If I find myself in this situation I might rather take the suicide as a blessing  :D :D :D ) but still possible?

- The US player in a similar situation with Ortega and there's US influence in Cuba.

Am I saying something totally preposterous here or has this ever happened to anyone? Is it even legal to realign yourself out? Can you target a country for realignment rolls with no IP's from the other player? Any other hypotetical, silly situations you want to share?

Thanks for this great forum guys!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:24:28 am by Chimista »

Jack Rudd

• Respect: +17
    • View Profile
Re: Hypotetical, unlikely, silly situations
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:07:53 am »

It's not legal to attempt a realignment in a country where your opponent does not have influence.

Chimista

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:36 am »
+1

I understand it's not, so the self-realignment would be restricted to countries where both opponents have influence

BamBix

• Wargameroom username: BamBix_TS
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:13:02 am »

Well, did anyone ever try to control Canada as the soviets? It's +1VP on Europe scoring :P. Or for that matter, who has ever taken those western African countries? Or have seen USSR control Norway?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 10:21:55 am »
+2

Following the advice of someone on the blog, I've Quagmired myself on AR6, with only Lone Gunman left in hand.

Chimista

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:34:34 am »

Following the advice of someone on the blog, I've Quagmired myself on AR6, with only Lone Gunman left in hand.

That's a cool desperate move, no doubt

DeDaan

• Wargameroom username: DeDaan
  • Gaming is living!
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
    • United Friends Boardgaming
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 03:07:42 am »

Nice, and could you get rid of it later?
Interested in taking part in face-to-face, online or PbEM events? Check my website!

DeDaan

• Gaming is living!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 03:17:56 am »

Well, did anyone ever try to control Canada as the soviets? It's +1VP on Europe scoring :P. Or for that matter, who has ever taken those western African countries? Or have seen USSR control Norway?

Regarding Canada, no. But I HAVE seen USSR taking Norway in a desperate attempt to get European control. That was the only game I saw ALL of the European countries being controlled. In the end he didn't succeed and lost the game. Last Sunday I played a face-2-face game as the USSR and the US succeeded in blocking me from Africa. I went into Morocco with 1 IP and via the Western countries I reached Nigeria (of course he didn't want to play into Saharan States to prevent me from couping). I succeeded, but mostly due to his failed coups against Ivory Coast. Of course, the advantage of that route IS that these countries ARE more difficult to coup. 
Interested in taking part in face-to-face, online or PbEM events? Check my website!

BamBix

• Wargameroom username: BamBix_TS
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 04:12:56 am »

Wait, isn't it much easier to coup Nigeria then? Or a similar 1-stability battleground? But I guess if you don't have the coups to spare it's a good solution :). I'll keep it in mind (I had to look up the map to check how many countries were there, it's usually a blind spot for me). It's vulnerable to realigns though (assuming US control of Spain and Algeria).

Re:Norway, actually, it might be funny to make it cancel North sea oil if USSR controls Norway. Or give an extra OPEC point :P.

I was thinking about this, actually the stability of the world favors the US. The only 4-stab countries that matter are almost guaranteed to US (ever seen USSR control of Australia?), and the only 5-stab country is US from the start (ever seen USSR control of UK?). On the other side, there is no country that can be similarly guaranteed to be in soviet hands (even North Korea is often contested). I guess USSR can take the 4-stab northern European countries, but who cares about those?

DeDaan

• Gaming is living!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 04:39:51 am »

Wait, isn't it much easier to coup Nigeria then? Or a similar 1-stability battleground? But I guess if you don't have the coups to spare it's a good solution :). I'll keep it in mind (I had to look up the map to check how many countries were there, it's usually a blind spot for me). It's vulnerable to realigns though (assuming US control of Spain and Algeria).

Re:Norway, actually, it might be funny to make it cancel North sea oil if USSR controls Norway. Or give an extra OPEC point :P.

I was thinking about this, actually the stability of the world favors the US. The only 4-stab countries that matter are almost guaranteed to US (ever seen USSR control of Australia?), and the only 5-stab country is US from the start (ever seen USSR control of UK?). On the other side, there is no country that can be similarly guaranteed to be in soviet hands (even North Korea is often contested). I guess USSR can take the 4-stab northern European countries, but who cares about those?

Nigeria was uncontrolled, US controlled Zaire, Angola, Algeria and South Africa and succeeded in bringing the DEFCON to 2 in the headline. Since there are quite some cards being able to do that (D & C, WWBY, How I learned, CMC, do I forget some?), I didn't want to gamble on a coup next turn, or seeing him draw Colonial Rear Guards...

DeDaan

• Gaming is living!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 04:42:03 am »

By the way, of course I controlled Spain/Portugal as a result of De Gaulle and Marshall Plan played by myself, so there was no direct realignment danger, although playing only 1 IP in Morocco was risky, I must admit..

Vell

• Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 10:23:36 am »
+1

I just Bear trapped myself the other day on AR6 with only CIA created left in hand. I had lost one card to Grain Sales to Soviets and also had Five Year Plan to send to space. My hand was just beautiful...
Fortunately Grain Sales didn't take Bear trap...

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 04:45:43 am »
+1

I've lost on Iran Hostage/Terrorism hitting Aldrich Ames and Quagmire, but not Lone Gunman.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.