Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Topic you would like to see a Twilight Strategy article on?  (Read 5326 times)

ddddddd

• Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Topic you would like to see a Twilight Strategy article on?
« on: October 21, 2012, 04:55:32 pm »
+2

Not to be overly demanding or anything, but I have seen a lot of comments on TStrat saying "I would love to see an article on..." etc. so I thought we could collect them together, and see what the people want.

Personally:
* The China Card,
* What to do when you get "XX" by Missile Envy
* A comparison of Online vs. IRL play   -   There are definitely difference between online play and IRL play (e.g. "instant" revealed cards and played cards are logged, so you can never forget what has gone; you can always check lists online and work out what is left to come [I am not good enough to do this IRL!]; your opponent never sees you glance at key spots on the board where you are about to throw down ABM etc.)

jpwrunyan

• Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: Topic you would like to see a Twilight Strategy article on?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 11:35:18 pm »

The main reason I read this forum is because I dont know what I dont know.  That means I cant say what article I would like.  I have felt that a lot of articles say you need to do x by a certain point.  But I find in real games it is impossible to do every single thing you should.  It is impossible to cover all bases.  I would like to know how to prioritize.  Like russia needs to go to Pakistan before the US.  The US needs to... Actually I don't know... Get Thailand?  But first secure Israel?  But not until first securing Lebanon?  Arg.  How many ops should I want in my first hand (assuming no damage events)?

I lose games constantly because I get distracted by a regional goal while my opponent multi-tasks.  So maybe I would like more discussion on what type of fundamental game skills you need to play the game.

trevaur

• Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 12:27:14 am »
+4

I think it might be cool if someone posted a "scenario of the day" or something that detailed the board set-up at the start of a turn and the cards in their hand and then we could all discuss the way that it should be played out, what to watch out for, what to keep in mind while playing and possible things that our opponent could do to us.

jigmelingpa

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 07:32:26 am »
+1

I lose games constantly because I get distracted by a regional goal while my opponent multi-tasks.  So maybe I would like more discussion on what type of fundamental game skills you need to play the game.

Being the opponent who constantly wins said games, I don't think we necessarily need to see articles outlining fundamental multi-tasking skills.

I like things the way they are now, thankyouverymuch.  8)

rrwoods

• Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 01:44:56 pm »
+1

I think it might be cool if someone posted a "scenario of the day" or something that detailed the board set-up at the start of a turn and the cards in their hand and then we could all discuss the way that it should be played out, what to watch out for, what to keep in mind while playing and possible things that our opponent could do to us.
Seconded

Jayne Starlancer

• Hero of Canton
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 12:10:55 am »

Seconded

I agree too... at first I thought this would be bunches of work for somebody, but then I realized that if someone just every so often takes a record of what they have going into a turn in some game they are playing, then it wouldn't be that hard to set up.

Maybe once a day would be a little much, but once or twice a week someone could dig into a wargameroom save file and find a turn that looks interesting to lay out for the forums.

trevaur

• Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 10:24:28 am »

Being the opponent who constantly wins said games, I don't think we necessarily need to see articles outlining fundamental multi-tasking skills.

You're right, this website should focus on all of the things that you personally need improvement with and none of the things that you don't.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 12:44:09 pm »
+2

You're right, this website should focus on all of the things that you personally need improvement with and none of the things that you don't.

I think he is just joking :)

ddddddd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 03:22:59 am »
+1

I liked Theory's "Annotated Games". I think that a "Scenario of the Day" is a good idea, except that Scenarios are usually affected by which cards have been played and which are yet to come/potentially in your opponent's hand. Still it's a good idea. Kind of like a newspaper chess puzzle for TS fans.

Ioan76_TM

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 03:54:22 am »

I'd like to see a topic about possible improvements/balacing-extension for the game. :)

Jack Rudd

• Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 12:05:54 pm »
+1

More annotated games sound cool. I'd quite like to have a go at playing a game for annotation purposes.

ddddddd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 02:20:37 pm »

I'd like to see a topic about possible improvements/balacing-extension for the game. :)

Yes, me too! I have come up with a few ways to balance the game in US favour, but it would be interesting to see what others have, and how to help the USSR.

This could be especially useful as a "handicap" for games against people with less TS experience.

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 08:42:48 am »

I would love to see some more articles on using the scoring cards, especially during the early war. Tips for maximising their results (or minimizing!) and avoiding too much tit for tat influence exchange and obvious telegraphing of what you have. This seems really, really difficult to me.

ddddddd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 10:38:24 am »

I would love to see some more articles on using the scoring cards, especially during the early war. Tips for maximising their results (or minimizing!) and avoiding too much tit for tat influence exchange and obvious telegraphing of what you have. This seems really, really difficult to me.

Sounds a good shout to me. Me and my friend sometimes have tit for tat influence wars, and they are always in France! Is that anyone else's experience?

discomute

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 10:22:22 pm »

First turn, AR 1-4

With Iran generally rocking +2 influence these days, I think the depth of how to set up your game depending on cards and rolls, with defcon not necessarily hitting 2 in the first turn... yeah i think there could be a few in depth articles about that :)

toonces

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 05:28:55 am »

An Adjunct to the Turn 1 Chapter based on the US getting 3 influence in Iran
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.