Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wargames  (Read 2131 times)

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Wargames
« on: January 31, 2013, 05:47:16 am »
+1

I wanted to think on the subject of the Wargames card.

Gameplay-wise, it is nice in that it adds another level to play. This card makes it possible for a side to have great board positioning to the point they would have an overwhelming victory on final scoring and still lose because their on-hand victory point total was too low. Mostly I see it used by the USSR to capitalize on their early game momentum that is shifting in the late war as the cards favor the US more. Though sometimes the US gets in a position to use it as well. (No shortage of cards that award the US free VP.)

However, a thought occurred to me: would it ever be acceptable to play this card to create a draw game?

Say for example that you are the USSR, and you draw Wargames. The defcon is 2, but you only have 6 VP. You have no cards that will award you VP, and neither does the US. (Which you could reasonably be certain of with Aldrich Ames Remix event.) You're also unlucky and the space race track is not a viable option to get VP as it's on a space that doesn't award VP. It's Turn 10. The US has board position that will definitely allow them to win the game through VP when it gets to final scoring no matter what you do. No side has cards that will cause defcon shenanigans.

So the questions are:
1. Is it all right to play Wargames to provoke a draw?
2. Should you as be satisfied with this conclusion?
3. Does the opposing player have the right to punch you (or get any sort of revenge) for you doing such a thing?

I've never seen it happen, but I have witnessed some genuine tie games before. They do not give a satisfying feeling of closure. So what sort of feeling would an intentional tie bring?

I wonder.

BamBix

• Wargameroom username: BamBix_TS
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Re: Wargames
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:47:50 am »
+2

Someone drew with me on Wargames. I had a better board position: he had a lead in VP's, but I was about to score big time (Asia domination or something like that). I didn't appreciate it, but it's perfectly legal play.

DeDaan

• Wargameroom username: DeDaan
  • Gaming is living!
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
    • United Friends Boardgaming
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:14:44 am »
+2

I also saw it happen in the ETSL. The guy playing Wargames had a 6 VP lead, but almost broke the time limit (which is 1h15m). Since he would lose in that case, he decided to get a draw before it would be too late for him. Perfectly legal and acceptable in my opinion!
Interested in taking part in face-to-face, online or PbEM events? Check my website!

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:12:14 pm »
+1

Of course, the only conclusion is that the play is legal and therefore acceptable.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 06:31:26 am »
+1

Perfectly acceptable on ethical level too.

I'd ask the opposite question: Assume neither player made any mistake. Is it right to punish one of them with a loss when draw is an option? IMHO not. I appreciate draw as a result of an even battle. Maybe this is because I am a quite advanced, tournament chess player, but nonetheless draw is the result as any other. I appreciate draw much more than I'd appreciate my victory caused by the fact that my opponent had made a suboptimal move on purpose. And I am sure that going into loss when you have opportunity to draw immediately is suboptimal.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

Comrade Pwnuby Khilemolov

• Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 11:25:31 am »

In one game against my brother, I did play Wargames to force a draw. He wasn't bitter and it was a good result between us.

Marcus

• Wargameroom username: Marcus_TS
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 11:56:52 am »

Once when playing via wargameroom, I provoked a draw using Wargames.
It was the beginning of the 7th turn, I was playing USSR and had a 6 VP lead, but apart from that things were looking bad for me in terms of a board position. Most of the regions were dominated by the USA,  and I judged that I had very little chance to turn the tide, and almost impossible to keep my lead till the end of the game. Besides, I was playing against really good player, to whom I have lost two previous games. Keeping all that in mind, I decided that a draw is really the best I could make out of this game, and played Wargames to achieve that result. My oponent did not seem to be angry with that... besides a draw happens so rarely in TS, that I think it is always a thing to remeber for both pllayers when a game ends up like that,
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.