Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 1989: Dawn of Freedom - Tips for the Democrat  (Read 5089 times)

vidra

• Wargameroom username: vidra_TS_1989
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
1989: Dawn of Freedom - Tips for the Democrat
« on: October 21, 2012, 05:15:57 pm »
+1

I posted this message on BGG, but I reckon it cannot hurt to post it here as well

Hi, I'm a fairly experienced Twilight Struggle player (over 80 games) and I really love 1989: Dawn of Freedom. However, my friend who's also an experienced TS player and myself are having quite a bit of trouble winning as the Democrat. In our last 8 games or so, the Democrat player only won once and this was because of an incredibly long string of bad rolls by the Communist following the "General Strike" card, which gave the Democrat 12 (yes, you read it correctly - twelve) consecutive action rounds, from which there was no recovery for the hapless Commie.

We've read Ted Torgerson's excellent "Strategy Tips for the Revolutionary" thread and we've been following all the tips and advice, but sooner or later, the Commie wipes the floor with the Democrat. Now, I believe Ted and Riku when they say the game was playtested to death and that it's balanced, but we still can't get the Democrat to win nearly as often as the Communist. We're obviously doing something wrong.

I was wondering if Ted, Riku or anyone else could point out the dangers and pitfalls the Democrat player should be aware of and that could cost him the game. As I said, we're both relatively experienced TS players, so we've got the basics more or less covered.

I'd be grateful for any assistance any of you could offer!

Kristof

Edit: Oh, yes and an advanced player session report with the final version of the game would be greatly appreciated!!! :)[\quote]

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
Re: 1989: Dawn of Freedom - Tips for the Democrat
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 10:12:37 am »

I've played 1989 only once, and I really liked it.  It feels way more crazy than TS (like the make five support checks event).

vidra

• Wargameroom username: vidra_TS_1989
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:04:30 am »

Yes, 1989 feels like a roller-coaster compared to TS. The events are very powerful but most of them are starred and there's quite a lot of requirements, i.e. a powerful event cannot take place unless its requirement event has been played. My friend and I love to play it but the problem is that the Democrat player needs to play flawlessly, plus (successful) Democrat strategy is way more advanced than Communist strategy. As the Democrat player, you need to plan as far ahead as possible as there are some key events you really need to give you an edge, so you need to keep certain cards that can help retrieve key events from the discard pile in your hand even if it means playing painful events. Commie strategy is much more straightforward and the learning curve for Commies is far less steep.

Ioan76_TM

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 08:16:08 am »

I also order a copy of 1989 - Dawn of Freedom ( it should arrive at the end of this month ) because I'm verry curious about it ... but anyway I'm eager to give it a try via Vassal if anyone is willing to play. ;)

Comrade Pwnuby Khilemolov

• Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:59:57 pm »

I just got this game too - tried out a few turns with my Twilight Struggle buddy.

Looks like a very interesting game!

mrc034

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 04:53:09 pm »

What about some entry in the blog discussing this awesome game so similar and so different to TS ?

Comrade Pwnuby Khilemolov

• Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 11:42:40 pm »

A little while ago, I played my third game of 1989DOF overall, and it was my first game as the Democrat.

My impression is that the support checks are the backbone of the Dem's strategy. The Dem has to get more PS cards than the Communist, and Dem has to play Rally carefully in order to win the PS on a Rally if possible. Ideally, Dem should Raise Stakes if it's safe to do so (while still preserving a healthy margin in terms of card number advantage). Raising the stakes gives a +1 to the roll to oust the Com, and Rally gives a +2. Playing both of them together will ensure the Com is overthrown in that PS.

The Com gets increasing cumulative bonuses for winning PS (from the multiplier) which the Dem doesn't get, and that's in addition to the actual scoring card's bonus. The Dem must tactically occupy more squares on the board to ensure more PS cards in hand and ensure as much as possible that the Com will a) lose the PS and b) fall out of power after it's lost.

Other than that, I get the impression the cards actually favor the Dem slightly, but the Control mechanic heavily favors the Com.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.