Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Labyrinth 2001-?  (Read 2598 times)

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Labyrinth 2001-?
« on: February 16, 2013, 05:34:12 pm »
+1

I haven't seen a post about this one yet.

Anyone play this? It's a card-driven game that focuses on the Global War on Terror. One side plays the United States, and the other side plays the radical fundamentalist Islamist terrorists.

I recently started looking over the rules again. It's a little more heavily based on luck (near every thing you do requires a die-roll) but it has its own charm.

Riku Riekkinen

• Respect: +15
    • View Profile
Re: Labyrinth 2001-?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:27:31 pm »

Some do like I don't. When it came to wargameroom I played 52 games during first week. Then noticed that most of the action is happening just in few countries. Most of the map is useless in most games.

Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 01:49:43 am »

...most of the action is happening just in few countries. Most of the map is useless in most games.

Well, I guess you do have a valid criticism there. Most of the 'fighting' so to speak in a normal (that is: Let's Roll) version of the game is going to be around Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq and then probably Indonesia or Somalia. But there's not much that you can do about that. Pakistan is the only country that gives the Jihadists WMDs (other than the random events in Russia/Central Asia) so there's huge incentive for them to attempt to overthrow it to Islamist Rule. That and a lot of good cards are activated by having no Islamist Rule countries on the map, so the US must go to Regime Change with Afghanistan very quickly...

But then with this subject matter it'd be weird if it didn't focus on Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iraq.

Jayne Starlancer

• Hero of Canton
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:05:33 pm »

There are so many events that refer to Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq... so many that only get played if Iraq is under Regime Change!

So it reflects what we were seeing the news several years ago, and I think that is pretty cool. I have played maybe one game with an opponent but several solo-games (not using the solo rules, just playing both sides). I want to play it more, as I like how it uses the "your opponent's event triggers" mechanic like TS but has other very different game mechanics.

I think that it seems to create a nice drama. If you play just to win, I could see how the game could start to follow the same patterns. If you play to explore "what-ifs" then maybe you will have more variety.

Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 08:26:51 pm »

There are so many events that refer to Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq... so many that only get played if Iraq is under Regime Change!

Not regime change: if there are troops in Iraq. It's possible through use of Covert Action or Back Channel to convert Iraq to Neutral, then War of Ideas it to Ally, then place troops in it.

() | (_) ^/

• Wargameroom username: paddyodoors
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 01:41:34 pm »

I play this one and really enjoy it.

Granted, it has a lot of die rolling -- but I've never been afraid of such games.  The heart of strategy in Labyrinth is controlling the chaos.  If you can find a way to consistently ride the crazy waves that this game throws at you, you will almost always win.  The heavy reliance on die rolling is just another factor in the chaos for me, and it's a lot of fun once you step back to appreciate the whole.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 22 queries.