Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: When to headline Defectors?  (Read 2044 times)

dancing queen

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
When to headline Defectors?
« on: March 15, 2013, 09:27:05 am »

Other than turn 10, when clearly you want to play it.  Is the best time to play this before the re-shuffles?

Or are there other considerations?  Any tips on the value of headlining this vs. RS/P?

bsheehan34

• Wargameroom username: brad_ts
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
Re: When to headline Defectors?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:07:48 am »

I don't think there is a best time. Gonna be based off the other cards in hand, what has already been played, and whether you are feeling offensive or defensive about the headline phase.  It I'd probably best turn 1 or 2 when the us has fewer great headlines and the Soviets have many possibilities which can really hurt. Once you get to mid/late war you should really be hoping for some better options.   

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
Re: When to headline Defectors?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 12:18:03 pm »
+1

Times I don't want to headline Defectors:

* If your opponent knows you have it (e.g., Turn 3 if it hasn't shown up yet).  As USSR I like to headline something bad but inevitable for me against an expected Defectors.  For example, I'm being dominated in Europe and don't expect that to be fixed.  Headline Euro Scoring when he has Defectors.  Either he Defects me (awesome!) or he doesn't (whatever, it wasn't going to get any better or worse anyway).

* If I have anything more aggressive (e.g., Grain Sales).

When I do want to headline:

* If it's about to be right before a reshuffle (on Turn 2, much better to HL Defectors or otherwise use it so that the USSR is scared of it from Turn 3-7).

* When I set up some kind of AR7 play that a USSR headline could really squish.

* When the USSR just used SALT to grab some good card and doesn't know I have Defectors.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 22 queries.