Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another "what to do with this hand" thread  (Read 2501 times)

macondo

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Another "what to do with this hand" thread
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:14:43 pm »

Hi,

first of all thanks for providing such a great website and community. The ressources for a nearly-new player are almost endless. All those informations helped a lot already to get into the game.

Right now i am playing a game online as US and have a difficult situation (at least for me as a newbie).

I managed to stay in the game with a good board position (USSR is on every continent but i have a better position on many of them) and VP at -2. Now turn 6 starts with Defcon 5, after i played SALT for Grain Sales.

My hand:
- Grain Sales
- Liberation Theology
- Five Year Plan
- Kitchen Debates
- Lone Gunmen
- Arab-Israeli War (Camp David already played)
- South African Unrest
- Blockade
- China Card (playable)

What to headline, what to space?

My thoughts:
- I would headline Grain Sales or Lone Gunmen. Lone Gunmen because of Defcon 5 so i can play it and will not risk Defcon-Suicide. Or Grain Sales to get an action in Headline Phase and perhaps a good card.
- I would space South African Unrest because i aready secured sub-saharan Africa. Liberation Theology would be another choice but USSR is already there (Cuba and Nicaragua).

I would love to get some feedback and tips on this. Thanks in advance.

SnowFire

• Respect: +15
    • View Profile
Re: Another "what to do with this hand" thread
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 05:08:16 pm »
+3

Headline Grain Sales, because you should almost always headline Grain Sales.  Lone Gunman is a rare competitor, but not when DEFCON is 5.  Since you also have Blockade, and nothing good to pitch to it (I assume you do control W. Germany?), you'd ideally like to have it as your hold card, not Gunman.  And you should jump on a chance to get rid of Gunman easy anyway, which this turn might give you.
Plan is:
Headline: Grain Sales, coup (or realign France or something if need be)
USSR AR1: Probably a coup
US AR1: DEFCON is probably 3, play Lone Gunman.

If the USSR HL'd Cuban Missile Crisis, or used Duck & Cover for a coup, then that would screw up your plans, but since you have China anyway, it's not a game loss.  Just sigh and play China so you can hold both Blockade & Gunman if that happens.  It's kind of a low ops hand anyway so using China isn't a bad idea regardless.  You don't want to give up the opportunity of doing some Grain Sales in the HL even if there's some minor risk in doing so.

As for spacing Liberation Theology vs. spacing South African Unrest, it entirely depends on what scoring cards have come out, how the coups early in the turn go (a Lone Gunman coup is very likely to be against "secured" subsaharan Africa for example due to its 1-op power), and whether Domination math might be swung.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 05:46:00 pm »

I agree with SnowFire.  Grain Sales is a very strong headline, and usually I like to be aggressive with it instead of defusing problems.  You'll almost certainly have a chance to play Gunman on AR1 or AR2 anyway.

macondo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 03:07:16 am »

Thanks for your thoughts...

Ok, then i will headline Grain Sailes and try to play Lone Gunman in AR1 or AR2... Cuban Missile Crisis is already played. Grain Sales will be useful to realign DeGaulle out of France. I am still in control right now but he has no chance of spreading if i will be succesful.

Africa is the last missing scoring card before reshuffle so i will space Unrest.

I am keeping Blockade since turn 2 and was always able to deal with my hand without using it.

krzysztof.morcinek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 05:02:36 am »

Don't space Unrest too early. If your opponent scores Africa (very likely that he have it) and he is now in this area (not anymore so secure after coups) maybe playing Unrest will be less painfull than Liberation Teology.

macondo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 08:38:52 am »

Good point... perhaps he headlines Africa Score so i can use my Grain Sales OPs for getting some more VPs there...

macondo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 06:51:48 pm »

It worked out... took my chance to play Lone Gunman on AR1... USSR used my nearly empty action round and scored ME after (last Area where he has an bigger advantage) so from now on it can only gets better... thx for your help...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.