Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Turn 1 Containment vs. Red Scare/Purge  (Read 2548 times)

Tbody

• Wargameroom username: TbodyTS
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Turn 1 Containment vs. Red Scare/Purge
« on: April 10, 2013, 03:27:06 am »
+1

This is a good dillemma for the US to be facing.  However, it's one that I am normally not able to find a definitive answer to.  One one hand, I love spreading out far and wide under the protection of Turn 1 Containment (especially knowing I won't be Red Scared).  On the other, I love using Red Scare/Purge to weaken the USSR Coups that often dictate how the game plays out.  Normally, I will always play Containment and hold RSP, however under some circumstances that is not possible.  Here is an example hand:

Containment*
Red Scare/Purge
De-Stalinization*
Nuclear Test Ban
Eastern European Unrest
Indo-Pakistani War
Captured Nazi Scientist*
Asia Scoring

You are going to want to hold De-Stalinization for sure.  So do you HL Containment and play RSP for ops, or vice versa.  If you headline Containment, you will only be able to get 3 ARs out of it (2 4-ops cards and 1 scoring card).  If the USSR ends up getting the card later in the game, you might be able to only get 1 AR out of it.  That is a net of 2 operations points by headlining it here.  I'm leaning towards a RSP Headline as that would have a greater effect on Turn 1 proceedings, and who knows, maybe Containment can be headlined in Turn 3.  What do you think?

*Edit: One more interesting note.  To get 3 AR's out of Containment, that requires playing the Nazi for Ops and not the event.  While they might be needed that way, you are essentially giving up 2 (or maybe 1) VP this way, which I believe should factor into the decision.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 03:38:29 am by Tbody »

Chimista

• Wargameroom username: chimista
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Re: Turn 1 Containment vs. Red Scare/Purge
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 05:05:50 am »
+2

With this hand I'd definitely go for RS/P. You have a very strong hand there anyway. As you said, it's always a dilemma to choose the HL, but this case is very clear, since as you said you'd only get +3ops and furthermore it's posible that you'd want to use a couple of the events (Indo-Pakistan War might come handy for Asia Scoring, and if nothing else it would mean 2vp's thanks to military ops).

I'd HL RS/P and play Containment for the ops, hoping that it'll come back to me after T3. RS/P will always help to stop your enemy, and it not only taxes their ops, but also (maybe even more importantly) kills their morale.

By the way, what abour our epic game post? Are we going to finish it at all? ;)

bsheehan34

• Wargameroom username: brad_ts
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 10:24:35 am »
+2

definitely go with rs/p. containment with this hand would be a waste because rs/p and nuclear test ban are already 4 ops, you arent playing destal and you have a scoring card. So containment will only gain you 3 ops in your hand here. Better to keep it in the deck and hope you redraw it later.

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 11:17:12 am »
+1

The main reason to headline RS/P over containment in general is that when RS/P comes back around after a reshuffle, it can be used to help either side a lot, while when Containment comes back around, it helps you a lot more. Containment is good to leave in the deck.

sspiker

• Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 03:30:41 pm »

I agree with everyone here to HL RS/P. In fact, I usually play Containment for the ops unless I have no better headline, or if my hand is full of 1-2 ops cards.

trevaur

• Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 02:07:30 pm »
+1

It's really awesome when containment comes back in the Midwar, even if the USSR gets it because it gives you that 1 AR you need to space Lone Gunman or even Allende if nobody is in SA yet.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.