Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: USA play of Destalinization Turn 1, AR 1  (Read 2944 times)

Kazzy

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
USA play of Destalinization Turn 1, AR 1
« on: April 18, 2013, 05:01:21 am »

I was thinking and would a USA play of Destalinization of Turn 1, AR 1 be such a bad thing.

First, at the beginning of the game the USSR has hardly any influence to move around - 1 from Finland, 1 from East Europe, 1 from E Germany and 1 from Poland - making them vulnerable to EEU - but also that since Defcon is probably at 4 - any of this influence could be couped immediately with a 3 card as soon as they place it in South America or Africa. Also you get rid of a threatening card.

What do you think. Out of the box strategy or crazy thinking?

BamBix

• Wargameroom username: BamBix_TS
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Re: USA play of Destalinization Turn 1, AR 1
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 05:48:39 am »

Not that bad, but there are enough stable 3ip countries: France, India, Chile, South Korea. You don't want USSR influence there early war if you can prevent it, couping it out there is hard. USSR can take from Finland, and drain Poland or North Korea. It's one of the better plays of Destal before late war, but I think it's still pretty dangerous. Would make an interesting game, I'll grant you that :).

Guns

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 07:52:38 am »

I went into this at length on the De-Stal card page. The reply was pretty much "no, that's terrible, space it everytime" even though the premise was sort of that you couldn't due to, say, a bad US starting hand. Still, I'm just not experienced enough as a TS player to argue the point much further :)

Riku Riekkinen

• Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 08:54:47 am »

France, India, Chile, South Korea

South Africa?

Early Destal has been tested by almost all top players at some point (I've done so too in a couple of games). In the long run no one I know has kept it in the arsenal. So compared to other controversial moves I whink this one is far more tested and rejected.

Kazzy

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 09:33:49 am »

France, India, Chile, South Korea

South Africa?

Early Destal has been tested by almost all top players at some point (I've done so too in a couple of games). In the long run no one I know has kept it in the arsenal. So compared to other controversial moves I whink this one is far more tested and rejected.

So much for that idea!

SnowFire

• Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:57:21 pm »

Yup, pretty much see the De-stal card page from the blog.  The safety play of France/India/South Africa/Chile is still totally solid for the USSR and will make the US regret handing out De-stal so freely.

The one note to add: if you are the USSR in such a situation, I'd definitely drain Poland over spreading out the influence loss everywhere.  No need to make EEU good, no need to let the US walk into E. Germany potentially, and no need to potentially let Truman Doctrine nuke 2 influence - just knock Finland to 0 and Poland to 1.  (Well, unless you coup'd Iran hard on AR1 and have 4+ influence there and the US plays De-Stal on their AR1, feel free to grab some extra Iranian influence then.)

bsheehan34

• Wargameroom username: brad_ts
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 01:00:21 pm »

dont think its a very good idea.

ussr places into france, south africa, chile, somewhere else...or maybe 2 in france..now they have early access to regions that they otherwise wouldnt have  without that card..Destal is the best ussr card if you get the chance to keep it from being played you do it.

trevaur

• Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 09:43:01 pm »

I think something to note is sure, defcon is at 4 so the US can coup one of your countries, but then the USSR could just coup back. As the USSR, I would even consider going 1 Chile, 1 Venezuela, 1 Angola, 1 France (you'll still coup Iran on AR1, so you'll be able to get India anyways). The thing with choosing to do this as the USSR is that if the US coups you out of Angola or Venezuela at Defcon 4 then you should really try to have a 4 ops card to coup them back. Of course, they could get really lucky and get a better roll than you, but then in the other setup they could decide to coup Chile with a 4 ops card and still have a 2/3 chance of removing you and a 50% chance of getting influence in.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.