Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: US reshuffle strategy  (Read 2994 times)

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
US reshuffle strategy
« on: April 19, 2013, 07:48:52 am »
+2

Hi!

I won't discover America by saying that American player benefits a lot if there is no turn 7 reshuffle. I observed that when I play USA my strategy somehow goes for it. I try to use China card as often as possible, I try to avoid handsize reductors (Grain Sales to be the main exception), I tend to avoid playing starred events in rounds 1 and 2. I have even once waited with Marshall Plan for my opponent to play NATO just to avoid NATO being eliminated from the game. It goes without saying that I reduce the number of cards discarded with Mr. Kennedy and Mr. Pahlavi to the absolute minimum.

What's funny, it works in about 60-70% of my games. I mean: about such a percentage of games played by me as USA end up without turn 7 reshuffle (counting only those games which last long enough). What's even more funny, this strategy never backfired in any critical way. Of course, some of the drawbacks hurt but I've never lost to a forced DEFCON suicide with Lone Gunman just because I played China every turn.

What do you think? Is it worth playing that way?

Best regards
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

Chimista

• Wargameroom username: chimista
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Re: US reshuffle strategy
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 09:13:25 am »

I never put any thoughts into this. Could you explain in what way does the US benefit from no T7 reshuffle?
I understand that you imply that the Early and Mid-War events are more favourable to the USSR? But anyway, even if there is no reshuffle in T7 there would be one in T8 when Late War cards come in, so it would only delay, say the possibility of an aditional Middle East or Asia scoring, one more turn.
I'd appreciate some further development, I'm feeling quite thick right now ;)

Thanks!

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 09:39:15 am »

Yes, there will be reshuffle (actually turn 9, not turn 8 reshuffle).
The benefit is not due to lack of Early and Mid-War cards. The benefit is that every Late-War card is guaranteed to be drawn by either player in turn 8 or 9 (or sometimes 10 if enough Mid-War cards "survived" until turn 8 and/or somebody plays SALT but this is rare).
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 10:03:44 am »

It is an interesting strategy, one I haven't considered.  Though you can't control the China card's usage, right? 

BamBix

• Wargameroom username: BamBix_TS
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 10:15:03 am »

What is the benefit of having all late war cards played out? I would say they're pretty balanced. You're sure the Reformer and Glasnost are in play, for example.

I would say a bigger difference is that you reduce the number of scoring. Seeing that US board position usually improves throughout the game, not sure if that is even a benefit to the US.

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 10:32:54 am »
+1

It is an interesting strategy, one I haven't considered.  Though you can't control the China card's usage, right?

I can partially control the China Card's usage.
First of all, if I have it, I can play it.
Moreover, I have two China Card grabbers against USSR's only one.
Last but not least: I may create crises that are best repaired with China Card (though this is rare).

What is the benefit of having all late war cards played out? I would say they're pretty balanced. You're sure the Reformer and Glasnost are in play, for example.

I would say a bigger difference is that you reduce the number of scoring. Seeing that US board position usually improves throughout the game, not sure if that is even a benefit to the US.

As USA I prefer having all the Late War cards instead of randomly determined, say, half of them. What is more, some of them may occur double. IMHO Late War cards are not balanced (neither was Late Cold War). I haven't thought of number of scorings but now I think I sacrifice averagely one or two scorings instead of sacrificing about 50% Late War Cards and denying myself option of playing any of them twice (like East European Unrest).

Having said that, I am a beginner. I would like some strong players to consider pros and cons of this strategy more deeply. This was just my idea, I don't know whether players did not consider it, or they did and thought it's nothing good for the USA.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:40:10 am by pietshaq »

SnowFire

• Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:36:21 pm »

A rather notable item that is probably a con: you're guaranteed to not see any scoring cards when the deck doesn't run out.  Additionally, Wargames is guaranteed to be drawn by someone.  This means that the reasonably common situation of "Score is between -5 and -15, BUT the US has an edge in map position" is a 50/50 flirting with Wargames defeat.  (Of course, if it's the reverse - that the USSR has a better map position and scoring cards would favor them, but the US is temporarily in Wargames range, then yes, it might be worth trying to force if it's still in the air on turn 6.)

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 01:54:43 pm »
+2

I'm unconvinced that avoiding a Turn 7 reshuffle is good for the US, and I'm especially unconvinced if it forces you to use Ask Not..., Our Man in Tehran, and the China Card in ways you wouldn't otherwise.

Much of the late-game power of the US is the repeatable Mid war events tend to be very pro-US. Having Grain Sales and VOA come out again is very good.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.