Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Two More New Cards  (Read 2676 times)

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Two More New Cards
« on: April 26, 2013, 04:11:06 pm »

Hi!  :)

Those seem thematically sound for me, how about gamechangingness? Both are for USSR but...

Mid War

Acoustic Kitty*
(3Ops, USSR)
For the remainder of the turn USA is not allowed to play neither US cards nor neutral cards as events.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Kitty

Late War

Challenger's Catastrophe*
(3Ops, USSR)
USSR player may move US backward or forward on Space Race Track any number of steps. No VPs are given. Star Wars event no longer playable. Captured Nazi Scientists and One Small Step events no longer playable by the USA player.

Best regards
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Re: Two More New Cards
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:39:01 pm »

Acoustic Kitty:

Much too powerful. There are many US events the US needs in the Mid-War that would be a lousy 2ops otherwise. (John Paul, Colonial Rear Guards, Puppet Governments, Nuclear Subs, Grain Sales, etc. etc.)

Challenger:

I don't quite get this one. Why would the USSR advance the US in the space race? To deny some VP award? Seems a bit self-defeating. Also, sending the US back to the beginning of the track is too harsh. Thematically, I don't think this should be an event. The Challenger disaster was simply that, a disaster. It wasn't caused by Soviet spies, nor did it have a big effect on the Cold War.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 03:26:11 am »

Why would the USSR advance the US in the space race? To deny some VP award? Seems a bit self-defeating.

Nope. To deny spacing Ortega and/or WWBY.

Thematically, I don't think this should be an event. The Challenger disaster was simply that, a disaster. It wasn't caused by Soviet spies, nor did it have a big effect on the Cold War.

The "disasterness" of it was a bit speculative. At least in Poland. We even had a joke:
- What was found after Challenger's catastrophe?
- A cassette tape which said: "A wy kuda?"

Which means sth about "Where are you going?" in Russian.  ;)
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 04:01:22 am »
+1

I guess I could see that, but the USSR would need to know the US player had that card (like through Aldrich Ames), then spend an AR using it to set it up. In that time, where does the opening coup come from? The US is free to play it with no defcon suicide.

Crazy. It was caused because the equipment was used at temperatures it wasn't designed for, and many engineers had their analysis of the problems (that it wasn't entirely sound and there were risks) ignored in favor of good PR. The whole thing just disintegrated with no chance to escape.

Chernobyl was also a disaster, and it has a card, but I still think that had more connection to the cold war (nuclear power, its fall out, and how barren an area exposed to fall out would be) than the Challenger exploding.

Iyreodfu

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 12:49:00 am »

Anyone with information is asked thread. I always wanted to have this.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.