Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Setting up your pc/router for Wargameroom  (Read 5955 times)

DC-Chaos

• Wargameroom username: Damien_TS
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Setting up your pc/router for Wargameroom
« on: May 08, 2013, 08:32:05 am »

I apologize if this has already been discussed at length elsewhere but my numerous internet searches have not come up with anything that has helped me.

I started playing TS on wargameroom a few weeks ago and am enjoying it. However It's pretty hard to find opponents right when I have a few hours to play a game and this is further complicated by the fact that, along with a lot of other players on there, I can't host a game as a server. More often than not I find an opponent only to discover we can't connect to each other and have to look for someone else who can. I started using Hamachi which was great but now I'm finding lots of people who can't use this program or that for some reason when we do use it its not working for some reason unknown to us.

Anyway what I want to know is how can I go about configuring my system so I can easily be a server for a game.
Is there a step by step guide anywhere?
Do I need a special router?
Which of the different IP addresses that come up on my ipconfig command prompt is the one I use?

I've read things like open port 2222 (which I tried to no success) but networking jargon is not familiar to me and I'm little more than a casual computer user. I find it strange that it is so difficult to use this great program to connect to other players and actually play a game.

Any help from people would be greatly appreciated so I can worry more about my twilight strategy and less about network connections and IP addresses

DC-Chaos

• Wargameroom username: Damien_TS
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up your pc/router for Wargameroom
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 12:08:26 pm »

I'd like to thank Reikkenen who saw my post here and helped me this afternoon on the wargmeroom chat to set up my router. I have just successfully hosted my first game (which i lost as usual :P) so you can consider this topic closed.

I still think it would a good idea for someone who knows their stuff to put up an easy to understand, step by step, how-to-guide to assist technically ignorant gamers like myself. I really appreciated the help and I'm sure a lot of others would too.

gringohairpiece

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 05:49:40 am »

I second this. It would be good to have a "How To" guide.

BamBix

• Wargameroom username: BamBix_TS
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 08:23:19 am »
+1

Well, for me it works if I forward port 2222 on my router, and that's basically it. Are you communciating your real ip to the opponent? You'll need your routers IP for the opponent to connect (which is then forwarded to your pc via port 2222), but I think your computer will usually only give you your internal ip (the ip you use to connect to the router, and the internet doesn't care about that). Just google for 'what is my ip' or something like that if you're unable to find your router's ip (or because you're lazy, which is why I use this all the time :P).

Or, in symbols:

---INTERNET---                       (Here is your opponent coming from)
         ^
         | [ip=123.456.789]           (This is what your opponent needs)
         V
---YOUR ROUTER---                  (Here you need to forward all incoming connections on port 2222 to the computer you are playing on)
         ^
         | [ip=192.168.0.x or
         |  10.0.0.x,
         |  or something like that]   (Only your home network cares about this)
         V
---YOUR COMPUTER---              (Here you lose the game)

How to forward ports on your router?
That's tricky, because this depends on your router, and there are many, many brands. You can browse around on your router's admin console, or google 'forwarding ports on <router_name>'. You'll need to forward port 2222 to the pc you are playing on.

Answers on your questions.
-There is no step by step guide for just this, but there are many guides online for port forwarding :).
-You don't need a special router, every router is capable of port forwarding. It might be tricky to get into the admin console ('under the hood'), though.
-ipconfig might be useful, but it's much easier to use a website. ipconfig might only read your local ip settings, and your router's ip is not used there. (your computer only needs to know how to connect to your router)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 08:34:02 am by BamBix »

Riku Riekkinen

• Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 01:20:28 pm »

For windows:

1) Open "command prompt" (All Programs->Accessories->Command prompt)

2) Type "ipconfig"

3) Now scroll as long as you can see the first thing there. After "Default Gateway" there is an IP adress (for me 192.168.1.1.) ... usually something starting with 192.168.

4) Open a new page on your browser (= internet explorer, mozilla firefox, opera... etc.). Put the IP on the adress line (where there is now "http://forum.twilightstrategy.com/index.php?action=post;topic=187.0;last_msg=1219"). So just put the IP adress there... for example I would put 192.168.1.1

5) Now you should be in contact with your router. This is good in many ways... as there can be updates available & some servers send you messages here. It should be common knowledge how to use your router and the IP is also said in the manual you got with the router & didn't read ;). Anyway this isn't a large web system. Click until you find something to do with ports. Note that some browsers have ability to forward ports intentionally disallowed by the net provider (they feel it gives more problems than customers... although its not easy to mess this up). Forward port 2222 to your computers local IP. The program name (if its there) is just a reminder for you, it doesn't have any impact in all cases I have met (if it asks for one).

6) What is your computers local IP? Start ts.bat (or tswin7.bat) and select server. Its whatever the ts client tell you.

7) What ip you should give to your opponent after all this? "What is my IP?" or something page like that tells your public IP (it isn't either one you have been using so far).

8) Now if your opponent can't contact you check your firewall.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.