Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Do you have a card that you just love?  (Read 10898 times)

discomute

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Do you have a card that you just love?
« on: May 21, 2013, 03:22:54 am »

Just wondering if you have a card that you just love for whatever reason. Maybe it's not the best card in the deck, maybe it is, maybe you just love poking your opponents chest...but do have a card that you just love?

For me, I am predominantly a USSR player and I just love Decolonization. I love drawing it, I hate it when my opponent spaces it. I love that it's early war, I love that I can put influence anywhere, it just opens up the board and the game gets a lot more fun.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Re: Do you have a card that you just love?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 03:33:49 am »

There are some cards I really love :)

As USSR I probably mostly love Blockade and Warsaw Pact. Well-timed Blockade combined with Red Scare/Purge, or Blockade played for operations in Early War, almost always pays off with an empty WG (provided it returns to me). Warsaw Pact saved several of my Late Wars.

As USA I adore Marshall Plan in turn 1, allowing to set up the start influence for it. I am also a fan of Truman.

As either side I usually make good use of "How I Learned To Stop Worrying".

Cards I hate are:
1. De-Stalinization: although powerful, I usually play it poorly as USSR when USA lets it go in Turn 1 AR 1, DEFCON being at 4, especially after a weak Iran coup.
2. Kitchen Debates. Don't know why.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

BamBix

• Wargameroom username: BamBix_TS
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 03:40:33 am »

For some reason I really like puppet governments. It's not overly powerful, but it's still quite nice.

Chimista

• Wargameroom username: chimista
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 08:40:01 am »

It's pretty obvious, but I love VoA for its game-changingness. It's the perfect antidote to cut Soviet advances in the Middle War Regions: using VoA after Liberation Theology or a late De-Stal/Decol in SA/Africa, is both expeditive and crippling for your enemy's morale. It can also work in the ME to expel USSR from Egypt and Lybia at the same time, as a pro-american Muslim Revolution. It can also do wonders in SE Asia.
I always try to use it to deny access, but with higher stability BGs can be used to create double threats, i.e. a last AR play over North Korea and Pakistan (As an Ussury River that removes the enemy instead of putting your own ip's).
But of course the most devastating and game-changing way of using VoA is saving it for the last AR of T10. It will mean a huge swing in VP's shifting continent dominations. It's so powerful that is scary to think about it if you are playing USSR.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:53:42 pm by Chimista »

sspiker

• Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 10:43:13 am »

Star Wars. I feel like its Christmas time.

And even as the USSR, if I'm ahead on the space race its worry free ops.

Plus the name is great.

sspiker

• Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 10:44:08 am »

But of course the most devastating and game-changing way of using VoA is saving it for the last AR of T10. It will mean a huge swing in VP's shifting continent dominations. It's so powerful that is scary to think about it if you are playing USSR.

You've beaten me in a game with that before. It sucked.

Chimista

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 01:48:07 pm »

You've beaten me in a game with that before. It sucked.

It sucks to suffer it, indeed. Now that you mention Star Wars VoA is a perfect candidate to recover from the discard pile... if you can be sure to be ahead in the space race until the last AR of the game...

Tbody

• Wargameroom username: TbodyTS
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 01:48:36 pm »

Cards I Love

Ussuri - I love flipping Indonesia/LaosCambo when Asia is contested (my favorite use of the card).
Brush War - So versatile.  I will save it if I can't find a way to use it to maximum effect.
WWBY - I love playing this unpredictably, especially as a Soviet HL if coupstealing/defcon dropping cards are out there.  Furthermore, I LOVE holding it as the US if Missile Envy hasn't been played yet.  Nothing is more satisfying than watching your Soviet opponent play Missile Envy for ops because he fears your WWBY.
Special Relationship - NATO activated, is probably one of the most fun cards to have in your hand, not because its amazingly powerful, but just because its fun to have in your hand.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:50:09 pm by Tbody »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 02:05:00 pm »
+1

Early War

US Event: Containment
Neutral Event: Red Scare/Purge
USSR Event: De-Stalinization

Mid War

US Event: Grain Sales to Soviets
Neutral Event: Missile Envy
USSR Event: ...none, really

Late War

US Event: Tear Down This Wall
Neutral Event: Wargames
USSR Event: Aldrich Ames Remix

Eruantalon

• Wargameroom username: Janusz_Wójciak
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 02:43:13 pm »

My fav Early war cards are -
Suez Crisis - Great T1 Headline + deters USA from investing in France
Korean War - Love to deter USA from taking a battleground AND love to win the war after USA bravely pours INF there (especially if Japan/Taiwan are empty, so it wasn't pure luck)
Defectors - there is no greater feeling, then canceling some Early War powerfull Headline, be it Suez, Purge or SocGov

MidWar:
OPEC - when going for Auto-Victory
Che - not only USA often tries not to get 2 1 Stability non-bg countries becouse of existence of this card - also it's ability to create mutiple threats (which is the very idea of the game)
Puppet Goverments - I simply love the crad, coutless possibilities - starting with simple Access to creating multiple Realligment threats.
Grain Sales - I don't like it forcing DefCon suicide, but I love the crisis it creates for USSR. Not only stealing coup, but also possibly forcing to play out the entire hand, this is often game-changing powerfull, if you keep pushing.

I don't particulary like any Late War card, except for Wargames - and I enjoy more it paranoic feel, then some swingy wins.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:44:52 pm by Eruantalon »

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 04:32:48 pm »

Mid War
USSR Event: ...none, really

Really, don't you adore Lone Gunman in US's hand? ;)
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72

Kazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 03:37:05 am »

I second activated special relationship with NATO.

East European Unrest in late war can be devastating

sael

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 12:09:46 am »

Cards I love are those very powerful for my side, e.g. as USSR I love De-Stalin and as US I love VOA. But they can easily turn to be cards I hate if I play the other side. Cards I love are conditional.

Cards I 'Just Love' are those with brilliant designs in game machanics, which nicely fit into its own historical background and can benefit either side in particular circumstance. Here are my candidates:

Five-Year Plan

It's supposed to be a decision made by Soviet government, but in the game it is a blue event. Any new player will wonder why. You may argue the FYP actually thwarted the economic development of USSR, but it still seems implausible and unconvincing.

Until we know it's full power: the ability of disposing low-OP US event / scoring card with 3OP in the last AR. The blueness of this card cunningly fits into the mechanic that you MUST trigger opponent's event, with vivid emphasis on 'Plan'. With careful planning, the Communist is able to rely on heavy industry to overcome its economical drawback.

But it's not all good as they had expected. If USSR holds any nuclear event, the FYP becomes unplayable, and thus making it harder to 'plan'. Industrialization pays its cost. Brilliant design.

Also, I love the situation where US headlines this card while holding the China Card. It brings history alive, and the USSR player can see how much challenge Khrushchev had faced.

Aldrich Ames Remix

This is an anecdotal but yet very interesting event. This guy is one of the three reliable figures of USSR in the Late War (together with Gorbachev and Iranian Terrorist). He worked for both the CIA and KGB, so he should be helping either side. This card is likely the strongest headline of USSR, and also helps US to get rid of annoying USSR event if managed correctly. Either side would be happy to see this card in hand.

So... there are also cards I just don't love, such as

Warsaw Pact Formed

Running out of the historical track. In the game, USSR will try his best to delay the signing of the Pact, while US just wants it triggered as soon as possible. The optimal play of this card is completely different from what history suggested.

And, Warsaw Pact (signed in 1955) allows play of NATO (founded in 1949).

Iron Lady

Same reason.

And I think it's been repeatedly discussed.

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 05:42:47 am »

And, Warsaw Pact (signed in 1955) allows play of NATO (founded in 1949).

In fact, Warsaw Pact was a direct reaction to NATO, which makes in-game mechanics yet more athematic. However, this is sound enough in terms of playability to tolerate it.

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 05:39:25 pm »

i personally hate decol. In some cases it gives ussr all asia battlegrounds except japan.

I also hate de gaulle because the threat of headlining it prevents us player form playing into france almost all early war.

Cards that i really like:

Aldrich Ames (it makes so much mess)

Junta - lot of creative and good options.

Missle Envy (if i have it)

NORAD - makes the game more interesting

SALT - probably the most interesting card above all.

I won my last game with opponent controlling europe in turn 7 and vps being around -3 for me. Turn 8: playing war games for ops. Turn 9: scoring africa and s am control and playing SALT claiming war games.

Another game: turn 10 opponent attacks me with ames discarding nuclear test ban leaving me with Lone Gunman and no china card (his mistake he did not see salt). I play salt claim VoA and win the game with ar7 voa leaving Lone Gunman in hand :)

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 09:32:39 pm »

i personally hate decol. In some cases it gives ussr all asia battlegrounds except japan.

Are you playing this right? Decol can only go into Africa/Southeast Asia, so the only Asian BG it can affect is Thailand.

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 09:59:31 pm »

It can essentially give India and Pakistan to the USSR, if they decol into Burma.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 12:47:06 am »
+1

Of the 6 Asian battlegrounds, 1 is Japan, 1 is definitely affected by Decol, 2 are "maybe" affected by Decol, and the other 2 are never affected by Decol. 

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 12:44:35 pm »

Y but after strong iran coup u have free access to pakistan/india. S korea is often taken by ussr because of korean war flip possibility. Whats left is thailand and se asia wchich is denied by decol. It gives very strong domination for ussr. I mean turn 1 decol.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 12:44:39 pm »

Ah, well, that is not Decolonization's fault!  Vietnam Revolts does the same thing. 

Riku Riekkinen

• Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 08:42:04 pm »
+1

I love Iran Contra Scandal & Latin American Death Squads... those were kind of joke cards before I started... then I played too much them, but now when I play them (and it had to the right moment) I get quite lot out of them (and love it).

Chimista

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 06:02:18 am »
+1

I love Iran Contra Scandal & Latin American Death Squads... those were kind of joke cards before I started... then I played too much them, but now when I play them (and it had to the right moment) I get quite lot out of them (and love it).

Those cards are great in the right scenario. They feel almost as Nuclear Subs when you are fighting for a Midwar region setting up realignments and/or struggling to control non-BGs

Eruantalon

• Wargameroom username: Janusz_Wójciak
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 07:18:42 am »
+1

Realignment bonus is superb, it seems to be one of the most underrated cards. +1 realignments do backfire sometimes, while +2 are way safer. In Africa it pretty common to have +0 rolls. Event bonus allows yopu to heavily contest the region and in the same time makes realigning you out next to impossible.

the_scotsman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 01:57:23 am »
+1

USSR:  I have to say that I love Aldrech Ames. Makes life miserable in every way possible for the US
US: voice of america/grain sales to soviets. Grain Sales is a devastating card otherwise as well. Great headline cards that really make life challenging.

hogshine

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 05:19:21 am »
+1

USSR - 5YP.  I love being able to discard scoring cards that I don't like, though sometimes get a bit caught up and let my opponent dominate a region just to see their face when they don't get to score it... 

US - Aldrich Ames.  Similar to the above, but can use it to discard anything! 
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.