Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Duck & Cover HL T1  (Read 3429 times)

blitzgordon

• Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Duck & Cover HL T1
« on: June 01, 2013, 03:08:34 pm »

Hi!
Just throwing an idea out that I've been thinking about.
Would it be feasable for US to HL D&C in T1 if US has a decently strong hand and could afford HL:ing a 3ops?
My reasoning goes:
USSR coups Iran on AR1.
If the coup is weak, coup back. DEFCON is 2, you get the last coup, and can go to Egypt/Malaysia on AR2.
If the coup is too strong, you can go to Malaysia on AR1.
The 1 VP is irrelevant/icing on the cake.
This HL might allow you to get creative in Europe since you won't risk an Italian coup, but I'm not sure/haven't thought this through.

I'm not arguing that it's a very strong HL by any means, but the Defcon drop and denying USSR a final coup might serve you well.

Thoughts?

Jack Rudd

• Respect: +17
    • View Profile
Re: Duck & Cover HL T1
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 08:16:56 am »

It's certainly a decent headline in some situations. (A USSR player who's set up for the COMECON trap, for example, won't thank you for it one bit.)

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 02:16:26 pm »

This is definitely a very strong headline if your opponent opened with 3 E Germany/4 Austria/2 Yugoslavia. Otherwise, I would say it's a poor headline. The important thing to consider with headlines is not only how useful they are, but the alternative, which is how useful they are as ops. And Duck and Cover is a 3 ops card, so as a headline it needs to be quite good to justify using it there.

sspiker

• Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 12:16:14 am »

Depending on how well the rest of your hand is, ops-wise, I might even consider keeping it until turn 2 and potentially headlining it then.

blitzgordon

• Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 04:56:34 am »

Well yeah, a turn 2 headline is a decent play, unless you set up an AR6-play yourself on turn 1. And granted, as I said, you have to have a hand that warrants HLing a 3ops card.
But what I was after generally was how Duck & Cover might affect the Defcon mechanics.
If the first Iran coup is strong, or if it empties Iran completely, the players in my experience end up dancing around each other, defcon at 4, nobody wanting to waste an action couping and nobody making real progress in Asia.
It's these situations that might instead play very well in to the US favour. With defcon at 4 and Iran empty or strong, US have no room to manouver and no viable BGs to coup, and they still probably have to lower defcon sooner or later lest it goes back up to 5 (Italy coup and -4 points for no Mil Ops.
What to do as a poor yank? :-\

Chimista

• Wargameroom username: chimista
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 05:57:57 am »

Sometimes I coup Iraq or North Korea with a 1ops card just to lower defcon

Eruantalon

• Wargameroom username: Janusz_Wójciak
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 07:10:10 am »

Second that, I also do it sometimes. I'd rather use 2 op's in order to fulfill MilOps, though; if my hand allows me.

Chimista

• Wargameroom username: chimista
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 06:10:50 am »

Second that, I also do it sometimes. I'd rather use 2 op's in order to fulfill MilOps, though; if my hand allows me.

That makes sense, and 2ops-2vps exchange is a more than fair trade. In the other hand, as US in T1 I find myself more often than not with several 1op cards in my hand, as Truman or CIA (Which I want to keep in the deck) or Romania abdication (Which I don't mind to activate), so I use them and keep my 2ops cards for other purposes.

Another move I tend to do as the US in T1, if I don't have coupable targets, is to play Nasser, have the event ocur before and then coup Egypt. You have a 1/3 chance of geting rid of USSR in Egypt. This is specially good as an AR6 play or if it lowers the Defcon to 2, of course. Any thought about this?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:12:46 am by Chimista »

Eruantalon

• Wargameroom username: Janusz_Wójciak
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 07:15:52 am »
+1

Sure, this is classic move, that could even get better if you moved to Libia via Egypt already. Having Nasser in hand and planning for that move you may decide to put only 1 INF in Egypt (typically too risky due to Nasser, that's now comfortably and safe in your hand). even removing 1 Soviet INF may allow takeover of Egypt AR1.

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 08:42:44 pm »

I dont think that playing Nasser before taking Lybia is good. U can take Egypt (with 2 ops) at ur T1AR1. Then USSR has to make a choice: coup Egypt and risk not working and lower defcon allowing Malaysia move or leave cheap Lybia to USA. It is countered only by good coup and destal into Thailand (even then its 2 destal inf lose).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 20 queries.