Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My favorite historical events  (Read 3019 times)

metstotop333

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
My favorite historical events
« on: June 09, 2013, 02:21:41 am »

First off, I think the game is nearly perfect, so I wouldn't actually want to see these cards implemented (furthermore, there's certainly something to be said for crafting the cards around the gameplay, rather than having them perfectly mirror history); however, there are a few Cold War-era events that are of particular interest to me, so I thought I might see if I could come up with some appropriate cards.  Nothing special, just for fun.

Mid War

People's Democratic Republic of Yemen* (2 ops)
Remove 1 USSR influence from Egypt.  USSR adds sufficient influence in Gulf States for control.

The Derg* (1 ops)
Remove all US influence from Ethiopia.  USSR adds sufficient influence in Ethiopia for control.  Remove all US and USSR influence from Somalia.

Right-Wing Dictators* (2 ops)
US may make a free coup attempt or realignment rolls in Spain/Portugal, Greece, or Turkey using the operations value of this card.  All operations points must be used in the same country.  Event is only playable if NATO is in effect.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:40:15 am by metstotop333 »

Jack Rudd

• Respect: +17
    • View Profile
Re: My favorite historical events
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:53:15 am »

Right-Wing Dictators* (2 ops)
US may make a free coup attempt or realignment rolls in Spain/Portugal, Greece, or Turkey using the operations value of this card.  All operations points must be used in the same country.  Event is only playable if NATO is in effect.
In a large number of games, that would just effectively read "2 Ops". By the time this card becomes playable, the USA has a high probability of having Marshall Planned his way into control of all three of the listed countries.

metstotop333

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 01:08:38 pm »

In a large number of games, that would just effectively read "2 Ops". By the time this card becomes playable, the USA has a high probability of having Marshall Planned his way into control of all three of the listed countries.

Not necessarily.  If the USSR draws Marshall Plan, it's a pretty common play for him/her to take two of the three countries before letting the US gain the influence.  I've played many games when the Soviets hold at least one of Turkey, Greece, and/or Spain/Portugal.  This card would be a way to mitigate that somewhat likely scenario, as well as reflect the rise of pro-US dictatorships in these countries in the 1970s.  I agree that if the US drew Marshall Plan then this card becomes somewhat useless, but that's true for a good number cards anyway (US/Japan, Allende, Panama Canal, etc..., all of which can be useful if the country in question doesn't have those countries locked up yet, but are equivalent to free ops if it does).

Jamepoison

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 02:24:18 am »

I have read all of the information. It is very helpful here. Is knowledge that can be put into practice.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 22 queries.