Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: China card turn 1 - newb question  (Read 2259 times)

discomute

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
China card turn 1 - newb question
« on: June 15, 2013, 10:28:03 pm »

It seems to be established that you shouldn't use the china card on the first turn. I'm a new player and I don't understand why that is.

What is the advantage? I would have thought in an early game when the board is open that it would be the ideal time to use it. Especially with a +1 to control Iran if need be.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Re: China card turn 1 - newb question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 07:08:54 am »

China Card does not give +1 to Iran :)

As to the question: assuming USA draws Decolonization or De-Stalinization prior to Turn 3, he will wait until turn 3 and send it to space so that the card does not return until turn 7. But if USA draws both prior to Turn 3, he will fail to do so because he will not have an opportunity to hold two cards from Turn 2 to Turn 3. However, if you play China Card in Turn 1 you leave USA the opportunity to hold two cards by just giving you China Card back.

Whether or not either of this cards' events is triggered in the Early War can be gamechanging so USA not only sends them to space but also wait with this sending.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

discomute

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 09:07:38 am »

(I meant instead of couping with a 3 ops card)

Okay so if you drew colon or Stalin on turn 1, would you then feel free to use china on turn 1?

Chimista

• Wargameroom username: chimista
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 07:17:12 pm »

Okay so if you drew colon or Stalin on turn 1, would you then feel free to use china on turn 1?

That's a good point, but there are more things to consider here:

- Even if the US doesn't get both Decol and Destal in turns 1-2 he can get one of them and be forced to space it because  Blockade forces him to lose one card, so that's another reason not to use China Card in T1

- For the same reason mentioned above, if as USSR I get Decol but not Destal in T1 I normally try to keep the China Card until T2. If I get Destal I might use China in T1, if I really need to.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 05:02:50 am by Chimista »

bsheehan34

• Wargameroom username: brad_ts
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 12:32:38 am »
+1

also the combination of the us playing 5 year plan while you hold cia created can lose you the game on turn 2 or 3 if you do not have the china card and something like fidel or decol/destal have already come into play.

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:04:46 pm »

I probably use the China Card on turn 1 in like 1/4 of my games as USSR. Sometimes, you really need to, such as to take control of multiple battlegrounds Asian which the USA would otherwise get.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 28 queries.