Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cambridge Five Turn 1 Headline  (Read 3263 times)

coinspnnr

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Cambridge Five Turn 1 Headline
« on: June 26, 2013, 10:28:24 pm »

I was playing against my usual TS opponent recently.  I was the USSR and was dealt the following hand:

Blockade
Cambridge Five
Degaulle Leads France
Fidel
Marshall Plan
Olympic Games
UN Intervention
Warsaw Pact

Nothing really leaped out at me as a headline.  It was mainly between Blockade and Cambridge Five.  I'm not a fan of Olympic Games, Fidel leaves me open to CIA next turn and DeGaulle is too exposed on Turn 1.  I prefer to hold Blockade until later in the turn, so I went with Cambridge Five.  While it didn't reveal any scoring cards (he headlined Middle East Scoring), it did make me wonder if there are "go to" spots for the influence off of Cambridge Five on the Turn 1 headline.

I think Europe is the easiest, as I would almost always put that influence in France.  It puts pressure on the US in France while Degaulle and Suez Crisis are still out there, gives access to Spain/Portugal if you are trying to grab the Mediterranean countries and let's you reach Algeria without Decolonization/De-stalinization.

I'm not so sure about Asia.  The problem I kept running into was finding someplace to put the influence that the US wouldn't be able to punish me for.  India is a possibility, though it risks Indo-Pakistani War (assuming you don't have it).  Or perhaps South Korea?  It makes taking it over easier for you, if the US doesn't try to grab it in response.  You aren't really taking advantage of Cambridge Five's ability to get you into an area you don't have access to though.  I even considered Australia.  It tells the US that if they coup to drop the DEFCON to 3, you will win the race to Thailand without needing Decol/De-stal.  The problem I had with other countries (SE Asia, for instance) is it invites the US to try to coup out that lone point of influence.  If they roll high, you may have just given them the leg up on domination (or blocking yours).  Of course, couping Iran with Duck & Cover will protect anywhere you put the influence, but a bad roll could leave the US in Iran or leave you vulnerable to a countercoup with no ability to respond.

If the Middle East gets revealed, there are similar problems to Asia.  Where to put the influence so the US will have a harder time getting rid of it?  While I'd likto be in Libya, is it worth the risk of the US trying to flip it?  Israel is stable and gives access to Egypt.  Against my opponent, putting it in Iraq isn't a bad idea either (has had coup'd his way into Iraq in the last 3 games I was the USSR).  I think my preferred place is Syria though.  It gives you control of Syria and, with a strong coup of Iran, domination.

Eruantalon

• Wargameroom username: Janusz_Wójciak
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
Re: Cambridge Five Turn 1 Headline
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 03:23:32 am »

The correct answer obviously depends on your hand (beside Europe, which is pretty clear to me). If you have Indo-Paki War then India is good choice. If you don't, Malaysia seems like neat choice - recoupable (as it's non BG country), allowing access to Thailand and if everything goes smoothly, you may as well lock whole SE Asia.

In the middle east I'd rather go for Egypt. If USA coups it to lower defcon to 3, you got a good shot at AsiaDom (by playing Decol/Vietnam revolts). You also always have Nasser for access to both Egypt and Libya. You may Choose Iran as well, to increase your high coup chances On one hand I'd rather aim at emptying Iran at +2 Setup, on the other high roll (5-6) makes Iran too Soviet to consider re-coup even at +2 if you put your INF there, and even roll of 4 might give you good chance at regaining it with final coup - given you have enough high ops cards.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 04:49:53 am »

I once headlined Cambridge Five to see both Asia and Middle East in US hand. Since he had two, he was limited in the possibility of repairing damages so I decided to go to Australia, denying him presence in Asia and putting him in front of some difficult choices round by round. Of course it is mitigable with good moves and strong hand but I assumed my hand would be stronger thanks to China.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

Eruantalon

• Wargameroom username: Janusz_Wójciak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:11:20 am »
+1

Knowing, that opponent has multiple Scoring cards is powerful. You can exploit it in many ways - try to make progress in OTHER regions (as he has neither enough cards nor motivation to counter it), where subsequent plays are needed - you can count on no counter-coup in realignment critical Non-BG, for instance. Break with events to them, without the fear of response. Or, you can push, even in brute force (ops war, taking multiple non-BG), to prevent opponent domination, if you're leading in other to be scored region(s). If opponent makes mistake of having as many scoring cards, as AR left, then it's even easier.

That's also another reason, why it's almost obligatory to headline scoring card, if you are dealt 3 or more of them.

To counter this tactic I'd probably fist cut my loses and score regions, where I'm behind, if favorable scorings are not possible, or overprotect the one, where I'm leading, then deal with scorings. Do you have better ideas?

Of course the analysis stands for other hand- peakers - CIA/Lone Gunman/Aldrich Ames.

BTW -  was it T1 hand? I assume so, as we're speaking of putting Influence into empty map.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:12:26 am by Eruantalon »

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 06:03:01 pm »
+1

Don't be afraid to go into Southeast Asia. Thailand belongs to the US. If you lose a coup war in Malaysia, then it's no big deal. If you win (US coup leaves you with influence, you drop defcon to 3), then you've stolen Thailand from the US, and have probably locked up Asia domination for the rest of the game. Asia Scoring probably helps the USSR the most, IMO.

If you're playing US+1 or US+2, then you're never going to see Middle East Scoring from Cambridge Five, since the US always headlines it (Personally, I believe the best way to balance TS is US starts with 2 in Iran, USSR starts with 2 in Syria, but this is almost never played). If you're playing without additional influence, then Middle East influence is probably best in Egypt or Libya if your hand is decent, or in Iran if your hand is weak.

If you see Europe scoring, then going into France is the obvious move.

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 08:12:24 pm »

I once headlined Cambridge Five to see both Asia and Middle East in US hand. Since he had two, he was limited in the possibility of repairing damages so I decided to go to Australia, denying him presence in Asia and putting him in front of some difficult choices round by round. Of course it is mitigable with good moves and strong hand but I assumed my hand would be stronger thanks to China.

hah! i Was thinking of things that just never happen. So it is. I have never seen USSR controlling Canada, UK or Australia (in fact ive never seen ussr pts in Australia). But if u thnik about it that way its possible :) I thought it should be auto win for ussr controling Australia but with cambridge + china it appeares that it is possible ;)

trevaur

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 05:18:03 pm »

If you see Asia scoring, place into India. What you are forgetting is that the whole reason that you coup Iran on AR1 is so that the US can't go into Pakistan and then India. Since you are already in India, just play a 3 ops card and place 2 into Pakistan and 1 into Burma. Now, if the US coups Pakistan, you counter-coup, and if he plays indo-pakistani war on India, then take Burma and Afghanistan then re-align India. If he plays Indo-pakistani war on pakistan, take India and afghanistan, then coup Iran and hope to realign him out of Pakistan.

With this setup, you are guaranteed to get both India and Pakistan unless he has indo-pakistani war AND succeeds with it, in which case you are guaranteed to get 1 and could possibly realign to get the other back. Also, you are guaranteed to have influence in Burma, which makes it easier to get to thailand (especially if you have Duck and Cover). Overall, this seems like pretty good play to me.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.