Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: USSR opening play with US +2 influence  (Read 2604 times)

DC-Chaos

• Wargameroom username: Damien_TS
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
USSR opening play with US +2 influence
« on: July 05, 2013, 11:11:13 am »

Hey guys,

In the last few weeks games on wargameroom have been played using the new 2004 official tournament rules which gives the US +2 influence which is almost always dumped into Iran. Since this has happened I noticed that the common accepted opening of couping Iran with your highest op card is no longer very effective and not observed by many players. I have been rereading some of Theorys articles and finding that they are sometimes slightly out of date as they presume you have couped Iran as your AR1.

I've seen people go for it and the US survives the coup and plays into Afghanistan making them pretty much impossible to remove, A successful coup is much easier to coup back now too. I have seen lots of people playing straight into Afghanistan to limit the US options. I've seen people ignore Iran and snatch S.Korea or play into ME or EUR. One of my own tactics I've tried as both sides is play into Pakistan with 4 ops making a coup unlikely to succeed and if it does I can coup back with much more ease and set DEFCON to 3. This tends to work better as the US as you can do it on AR1 without first going through Afghan but it's a lot of op's to waste so early. Mostly whatever happens I've seen a bit of a Mexican stand off with both players waiting for the other to blink and take a risk.

So I'm wondering how people feel about this?
What do people think is a good way to open up as USSR when using these rules?
Is this +2 influence a good change for the game?
How does it affect the rest of the early parts of the early war?

And lastly one thing that I find a bit annoying, although this was true with the +1 influence too, is that the US can now headline ME scoring for a free 4 VPs with the USSR having no way to stop it. Perhaps we could give the USSR presence in Syria to make up for it?

Cheers

sspiker

• Respect: +16
    • View Profile
Re: USSR opening play with US +2 influence
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 11:38:06 am »

I like the Syria idea, especially in the +2 set-up.

As for opening moves, I think this is something that'll shake itself out in the next several months, and its kind of exciting to be a part of it. There was a time when couping Italy on turn 1 was the obvious move, but that changed to Iran and then it just became the standard part of the game, to the point where the vast majority of games started with the same Europe set-up and the decision to coup Iran.

For me, the decision on whether to coup Iran+2 with a 4ops card is influenced on whether I have Decol or Vietnam Revolts in Turn 1. If so, then I'm much more inclined to go for the coup. There's a 67% chance that the result will set up a second Iran coup (either a second USSR coup against a weaker Iran, or a US counter-coup with only 1 or 2 Soviet IPs), which drops DEFCON to 3 and opens up the USSR taking Thailand. Given that the US is less likely to be eliminated from West Asia with the +2 set-up, taking Thailand first is absolutely critical. Taking South Korea is also important, perhaps even forgoing the Korean War threat and just taking it outright as soon as possible.

In general, I think the +2 setup puts more attention on Asia. I rarely focus on Europe either way, and the Middle East just isn't valuable enough for me to fight for it. In a standard or +1 set-up, I can maybe score a quick domination or without US presence in the early turns, but its not something I go out of my way.

So Asia becomes even more important. If you can take both Koreas and Thailand, then you can't be dominated. Getting to India or Pakistan first (or using I-P War) can get you domination. That has to be the priority, because with Iran, the US has quicker access to Pakistan, India, and Thailand than the USSR does. And if the US is able to gain--and secure--domination and 4 battlegrounds in Asia quickly, the odds shift drastically to their favor.

Nightlyraver

• Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 02:01:40 pm »

Maybe coup'ing Italy now becomes a lot more attractive.  If US plays into Afghanistan, USSR can play into S Korea.  If US then goes into Pakistan (or goes straight into Pakistan) then you at least can coup with the China Card.  50% shot that coup'ing with China in Pakistan will give you a strength of over 8.  Unless US puts 4 IP's into Pakistan you will likely have 1+ IP's in Pakistan, maybe more if you roll well.

I don't know, just brainstorming here.  Agreed that having DeCol or Vietnam Revolts in hand greatly changes things.  And agreed that grabbing S Korea early is now a much better option.

I guess the best result for USSR is to do the bare minimum to prevent domination in Asia and use resources elsewhere.

discomute

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 04:43:30 am »

Wow. So Iran starts as 3? As someone used to playing stock rules with a board game that seems excessive.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.