Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wargames Question  (Read 2988 times)

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Wargames Question
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:17:02 am »

Hi!

Suppose you have Wargames on Turn 8 and you are unable to hold this card until Turn 9 (for whatever reason). The chances that you will be able to win by Wargames during this turn are very small or even null but you are suddenly given chance to play Wargames and end game with a draw.

What would be the most important factors for you while deciding whether to go for a Wargames draw or to push for a win?

Cheers
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Re: Wargames Question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 10:29:43 am »

Situation on the board would be the most important factor obviously. If Im leading or its close i push for a win. Even if im losing slightly. If im losing significantly (like i dominate one region , opponent 3 with one of them controlled - its hard to break)

Side i play: If i play USSR im more likely to lose (good usa events, us turn 10 ar 7 action)

Number of suicide cards combined with possibilities of attacking my hand. Like if Iranian Hostage Crisis was played i didnt have terrorism and/or Aldrich Ames, im keeping lone gunman,  have influence in Cuba wchich makes Ortega suicide card, wwby is not gone and what is more China card is in USSRs hand - thats not good of a situation.

Opposite: If I keep Five Year Plan, Grain Sales to soviet, Tear Down this Wall and CIA and dont have China card - the game is lost.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 02:26:29 pm »

Those are obvious. I'm rather asking about the situation in which the only thing you can say about the board is that if you don't trigger Wargames, the game probably won't end up with a draw. Probably. Neither side has more than 55% chances to win the game at first sight.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 10:05:18 am »

Im not sure what are u heading for.

If the situation is kind of equal i always try to push for a win.

Billw147

• Wargameroom username: Billw147
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 12:21:17 pm »

On the basis that the game is evenly balanced, I would say the decision will be based on whether you are a conservative "glass half empty" person, who would prefer a draw rather than risk losing, or a "glass half full" optimist, who would play for a win at the risk of losing.

Stringer

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 12:35:42 pm »

Scoring cards and the last turn scoring would be the most important consideration I think. That's the only way you'll lose.

1) Which scoring cards are left in the deck? Do you dominate or control those regions? If not and you're looking down the barrel of a 10 point swing or something, probably best to force a draw. If you're doing well in those regions then you'll only be farther ahead than you are now.

2) What does the turn 10 scoring look like? In the current board state will it be in your favor? If so, how solid is your position? Will you be able to maintain? If the turn 10 scoring is already out of your favor then you don't have much time to swing it the other way.

3) What other cards are left in the deck? Is there anything really scary left for you or your opponent?

DC-Chaos

• Wargameroom username: Damien_TS
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 06:41:03 am »

I think you should be able to work out who is likely to win by doing a quick board count. Look at who dominates/controls where and if it's very unlikely to change then award that player the points, once for final scoring and another time if the scoring card is still in the deck. If there's a region where you are very confident you can flip or you don't think you can hold onto then change the points awarded appropriately. If you are reasonably good at the game then you should have a pretty good idea what events will be coming up so that will affect your idea of who can make it into which regions. Also pay attention to the space race as it can be worth a good 5 VPs to the player that's ahead in the last few turns. for example: You are the USSR, If Asia scoring is in the deck and your opponent dominates it then it is likely to cost you 12 VPs. Unless you think you can make that back elsewhre then consider cutting your losses.

As previously stated however the biggest factor to consider is who you are playing.

The general wisdom is that the USSR is on the back foot in the late war and will lose a lot of VPs in Final Scoring and, therefore, probably the game. However to throw in the towel for a draw when you are ahead and there's 2 turns left seems a bit weak to me and I'd like to use the 4ops to try and stay competitive and hope the cards start going my way. But you really must do a board count and get a good prediction of where the remaining VPs will go, a draw may be your best result.

The USA has a big advantage in the late war, especially because of the T10 AR7 play, so if I'm 6 points ahead with wargames in hand I'm definitely playing it for 4ops to try and get even more ahead.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.