Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: MISSILE ENVY and ASK NOT...  (Read 2794 times)

Eric W. Sirko

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
MISSILE ENVY and ASK NOT...
« on: August 17, 2013, 02:10:08 pm »

Suppose the USSR plays MISSILE ENVY as its headline.  Then suppose that the USSR plays ASK NOT... in AR1 (event + ops).  Question: Is the US allowed to include MISSILE ENVY among its ASK NOT discards?

(a) Yes, because ASK NOT mentions no restrictions on what may be discarded.
(b) No, because it would nullify the effect of MISSILE ENVY.

Scratching my head over this one.  Opinions or rulings?

Thanks!

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Re: MISSILE ENVY and ASK NOT...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 04:55:23 am »

I asked the same question here:

http://twilightstrategy.com/2012/10/08/missile-envy/

No particular ruling but I'd say U.S. is allowed to discard Missile Envy.

The edge case is: U.S. discards more cards than the cards remaining in the deck. Then the discard pile is reshuffled and U.S. receives first cards from new deck. He may draw Missile Envy another time. In this case I'd say he is forced to play it for ops. But I'm not perfectly sure.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 12:41:24 am »

Interesting... people are still coming up with valid questions that require rule clarification. :)

Opinion: My first instinct is that the US just wouldn't be allowed to discard Missile Envy, because he must play it for ops, and if he throws it away, then he can't play it for ops. He'd have to play some other card. Which would violate the Missile Envy event that has already been played on him.

It does seem like a situation that wouldn't happen though. What USSR player would play Ask Not for the US so early in the turn?

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 09:20:08 am »

Interesting... people are still coming up with valid questions that require rule clarification. :)

Opinion: My first instinct is that the US just wouldn't be allowed to discard Missile Envy, because he must play it for ops, and if he throws it away, then he can't play it for ops. He'd have to play some other card. Which would violate the Missile Envy event that has already been played on him.

It does seem like a situation that wouldn't happen though. What USSR player would play Ask Not for the US so early in the turn?

I guess no USSR player would. But some USSR players may play AR7 Missile Envy and US player may respond with AR7 Scoring Card and headline "Ask Not..." in the next turn.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 03:50:58 pm »

I guess no USSR player would. But some USSR players may play AR7 Missile Envy and US player may respond with AR7 Scoring Card and headline "Ask Not..." in the next turn.

That's a bit more plausible. Though missile envy tends to only be played for the event in the headline. Only the extremely optimistic and the crazy play missile envy for the event in the middle of the turn.

(Like me.  ;))

Kazzy

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 07:19:31 am »

If I was playing a friendly match I'd just say that instead of ending the game that USA has to play the scoring card on the AR1 of the next turn, so USSR potentially has an opportunity to take advantage.

Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 06:51:15 am »

I found a ruling that says Missile Envy only requires that the player who gets the card use it their next opportunity for OPs if they still have it. In other words, throwing it away with Ask Not is perfectly legal and frees them.

They are required to discard it through Bear Trap or Quagmire before any other card, though.

(If they somehow are under Red Scare/Purge, then have Bear Trap/Quagmire played on them, fail, and then get Missile Envy, they're free to discard a higher op card because Missile Envy no longer qualifies as 2 ops, but they must play it when they escape, or if they make it to the next turn still under Bear Trap/Quagmire and it's 2ops again. Unless any of that would force them to hold scoring cards.)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.