Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 3 beginner's questions  (Read 1808 times)

Parafly

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
3 beginner's questions
« on: September 06, 2013, 02:30:17 am »

Dear all,

I'm new to the game and am looking for some rules clarifications. Can someone please answer the following questions:

1. Do both players show their headline events at the same time, e.g. can the player with the higher card see what the opponent has and therefore decide what he is going to do?
2. When does NORAD trigger? Before or after the coup? If it is before: must the USSR p÷ayer tell the US player where he is going to coup, e.g. Norad makes it harder to have a good coup result?
3. Whatmis a free coup? I assume DEFCON-restricted, but does NOT reduce defcon, e.g. You can coup a battleground. And you don't get military ops for it. Correct?

Looking forward to some answers!
Thanks!

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Re: 3 beginner's questions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 04:21:45 am »

Hello Parafly. Welcome to the forum. It's not quite as lively nowadays, but I hope you'll find it worthwhile.

Let me answer your questions to the best of my ability.

1. Both players choose their headlines first, then show their headline events at the same time. Usually, each player will pick which card they want to headline, set it face down, and when both are ready, flip them. The only exception is if one player has reached Man in Earth Orbit on the Space Race track. This power forces the opponent to choose and show their headline first, then they may pick their own card. Remember, the higher ops card is resolved first. (If it's a tie, US event first.) Scoring cards are considered zero ops.

2. Read the text of NORAD carefully. The US adds the extra influence at the end of the AR in which the defcon was reduced to 2. This means after the coup. The US does not get to add influence if it doesn't control Canada at the time, or if the defcon drops to 2 in the headline phase.

3. A 'free' coup is just like a normal coup, except it does not add military ops. It DOES reduce defcon if performed in a battleground country. It can only be performed where the card says it can be performed. A country in Central America or South America for Junta, a country adjacent to Nicaragua for Ortega Elected in Nicaragua, and a country in Europe for Tear Down This Wall.  Tear Down This Wall allows the US to coup in Europe no matter what the defcon is.

Hope this helps.

Parafly

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: 3 beginner's questions
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:02:14 am »

Great thanks! Yeah, the game is old, but this forum stays fresh as long as people play :)

It is a great source for inspiration!

Regarding my questions:

1. makes sense, so the higher ops can react to what is going to happen
2. thanks, reading carefully is always a good advice ;)
3. Ok, this way it is by far less useful (couping battlegrounds would be too good) :)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.