Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Promo Cards in Lieu of Bonus US Influence  (Read 4832 times)

Hunting Wolf

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Promo Cards in Lieu of Bonus US Influence
« on: September 17, 2013, 04:37:09 pm »

Has anyone tried or devoted much thought to using the Italian or to a lesser extent the Spanish promo cards (one US the other a US leaning neutral card, details below) instead of giving the US extra starting influence? The way I figure, another US card in the deck is likely worth a few VP points in the medium run, and its inclusion seems more elegant compared to the issues with US +3

Now I realize there are logistical issues in the way of using these cards, the different back and difficulty in getting them state-side for starters, but hypnotically would these help game balance? I have a friend with copies and I wanted a general opinion of my TS betters before I purchased anything.

Anni di Piombo - US event - Mid War - 1 ops
"if there is at least one nation in Western Europe not Controlled by USSR, remove from that nation all USSR Influence but 1 (if there more than one nation not Controlled by USSR, the USA player choose the affected nation)

Referéndum OTAN - Neutral Evenet - Late War - 1 ops
Requires NATO. (woh a actual use for NATO beyond SR!)
Each player rolls a die. The active player adds +1 and the player with more influence in Spain/Portugal also adds +1. In case of a tie, roll again. The winner adds 1 VP and adds 1 influence in Spain/Portugal. If the winner is the USSR, cancel the effects of NATO for Spain/Portugal.

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Re: Promo Cards in Lieu of Bonus US Influence
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 12:55:00 am »

I don't think these cards would make much of a difference. They both seem rather pro-US, but they only have anything to do with Europe. I can't imagine either of them being game breaking unless one player really needed just one VP. That and they're annoying 1op cards that neither the US nor the USSR will want to have in their hand. There are plenty of those.  ;)

US +3? Is that the new standard? I hadn't heard of anyone using that. :o

Hunting Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 03:53:32 pm »

Im sorry I suppose that would be +2 not +3, That would be downright silly  ::) You are right they have a european slant, is the general thinking europe doesn't really need the help?

Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 08:52:47 pm »

Anni di Piombo looks like a second Truman Doctrine and doesn't really seem fair to the USSR player. Referendum OTAN seems sorta pointless unless you needed 1VP to win. Tying it to NATO just needlessly complicates things. (Adding +1 influence to Spain/Portugal changes nothing, neither does cancelling NATO for Spain/Portugal since it's unlikely to be couped, realigned, or have Brush War used on it.)

Jack Rudd

• Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 09:01:28 pm »

Anni di Piombo looks like a second Truman Doctrine and doesn't really seem fair to the USSR player.
It probably doesn't really do a lot as an event, actually: I don't normally find, in games where I'm the Soviet player, that I frequently have 2 or more influence in a Western European country without controlling it.

Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 10:55:38 pm »

It probably doesn't really do a lot as an event, actually: I don't normally find, in games where I'm the Soviet player, that I frequently have 2 or more influence in a Western European country without controlling it.

Really? I commonly see games where the USSR and the US get in a bidding war for France.

Chimista

• Wargameroom username: chimista
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 06:14:16 am »

Really? I commonly see games where the USSR and the US get in a bidding war for France.

Anni di Piombo seems a quite interesting card to me, as a second, slightly weaker Truman Doctrine, can be used to break control in France, Germany or Italy with an AR7 play  HLing it next turn to remove almost all USSR inf. Can be specially great when a previous bid war has left enough US influence in the country for the US to get control after the event.

Example:

Italy is 2/4 (USSR control)
US plays 1 ip breaking control in AR7
US Headlines "Ani di Piombo", removing 3 USSR ips leaving Italy 3/1 (US control)

I've never used it, since I don't have the card, but if I could I would most definitely try it. Could we get it in the Wargameroom version of the game? Someone interested in proposing this to Bruce Wigdor?

Regarding OTAN Referendum, I have the spanish edition of the game, and in my experience the card is almost useless for several reasons:

- Mainly, it's a Late War card, many games don't make it to the late war plus there are many cards in the deck at that point, so it gets buried quite often.
- Its a weak, neutral event. Could be a HL if you don't have anything better, but with so many strong events in the deck between T8-T10 you usually have something better in your arsenal.
- As mentioned, it depends on NATO activation, reducing even further the chances of using it.

I think the editors should have made a slightly more powerful and useful event. This is a possible idea:

Ike meets Franco - US Event - Early War card - 1 ops

Remove half USSR inf in Spain, US gains 1 inf in Spain

This is, pretty obviously, a "Spanish Nasser". It can be pretty game changing affecting Europe Scoring and also realingments in France throung Tear Down or Brush War in Italy. In the long run it would work as a deterrent for USSR investment in Spain, which makes sense historically speaking, if you take a look at Francoist Spanish policies regarding the reds ;)

This is a link for some historical background, if you are interested:

http://watchingamerica.com/News/40788/the-day-eisenhower-architect-of-peace-visited-franco/

Anyway, answering the thread's question: I don't think any of these cards influence is enought to shift the balance as much as +2 for the US does. They could be fun though
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:13:40 am by Chimista »

Gustaf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 08:41:51 pm »

I like the general idea but from what I understand there is the Polish one called Baghdad Pact which actually has an effect on the Middle East/West Asia situation in a nice way.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 06:09:45 am »

I like the general idea but from what I understand there is the Polish one called Baghdad Pact which actually has an effect on the Middle East/West Asia situation in a nice way.
Actually, it makes the game balanced with no extra US IPs.
Bagdhad Pact is an Early War US non-recurring 1OP event with the following text (my translation):

Remove 1 USSR Influence from both Iraq and Turkey, then add 1 US Influence to either Iran or Pakistan.

It comes with another promo card but it still does not change the balance.

Other promo card is Martial Status: USSR 2OPs non-recurring Late War card with the following event text (my translation):

Remove 1 US Influence from Poland. "Solidarity" may not be played as an event for the remainder of the turn.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

DC-Chaos

• Wargameroom username: Damien_TS
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 07:12:11 am »
+1

I think the Referendum card is useless and will annoyingly clutter up the deck while the other one just makes it even harder for the USSR to fight for Europe in the late war which I think is unfair.

Neither of the cards try to address the problem of the US possibly being easily steamrolled early on in the ME and Asia which is why people started playing with a stronger US presence in Iran.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.