Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1219 times)

Conradie

• Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Hello!
« on: October 22, 2012, 11:49:08 am »
+2

Hello everyone

I have always loved board games of all sorts, but when I played TS for the first time last year I lost interest in most other games. Not only was it the game that I had been looking for my entire life(I studied Political Science) , but I started researching the Cold War non-stop and am actually going to take a history class next year because of this game.

I love reading Theory's posts, always very insightful and I have won several games as a result of his great advice and strategy tips. Thank you and keep up the good work!

I am always looking for new people to play against, so if there are any players in the Edmonton area let me know and we can set up a game!

Cheers

Jayne Starlancer

• Hero of Canton
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 02:36:51 pm »

History games make me interested in history... I read books... and then I get interested in other history games! It is a great cycle. I know you said you have been playing mostly just Twilight Struggle recently, but are there any other history games that you have discovered that you enjoy? Have you tried 1989 yet?

Conradie

• Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:40:43 am »

I have not tried 1989 yet but it is on the list of games to buy. How does it shape up in comparison to TS? I have not really played any other history games, I am glad you mentioned 1989. Have you tried 1960?

Jayne Starlancer

• Hero of Canton
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 04:01:26 pm »

I have not tried 1960 yet... it looks interesting, but I like how adjacent spaces matter in TS and 1989, and I think that 1960 might lack that (though I am not positive).

I have only played 1989 twice, but it was great fun both times. It is more chaotic than TS. For example, when I draw my hand for a turn in TS, I might have a few enemy cards and think, "Well, now I have to handle this somehow." Usually there is something you can do to mitigate their effects. When I draw a hand in 1989, I look at the enemy cards and think, "How in the world will I manage to survive this turn?" Often, you can only mitigate the effects of the more powerful events slightly.

So events are more powerful, which makes the board chaotic. But both sides have strong events, and the sides are more asymmetric than in TS, so what might look like a bad position on the board for the Communist is not nearly as bad as it might seem.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.