Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Formosan Resolution  (Read 5317 times)

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Formosan Resolution
« on: October 23, 2013, 08:12:31 am »
+1

I want to create discussion about this card because i storngly disagree with what is said in the main site about it. Im pracitcing playing usa a lot and i find it very useful in many cases.

1. Asia is often split 3-3 and keeping China Card all game long is good for 4 reasons:
it gives 2vp and the end,
it makes Ussuri river skirmish and Nixon more powerful,
it gives u opportunity to avoid suicide 
when u have it the opponent doesnt have it.

Well these are obvious fact.

Playing China is sometimes needed in early war so if Formosan Resolution was activated early it a waste. But if not u can even play China to take Taiwan and count for Formosan Resolution later. There where few games when i played it as an event myself.

If USSR player has it on hand in mid war it gives him another headache.

Worst case scenario ussr player is forced to take Taiwan wchich is 3 ops waste for him.

Formosan Resolution was significant in over a half of my last games and gave me domination once or twice in every one of this games.

Julio

• You are not a cylon!
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
    • Partidas al Twilight Struggle
Re: Formosan Resolution
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 02:31:34 am »

I won my last game thanks to Formosan Resolution and an USSR player reluctant to play China Card.
I'm starting to think about FR in a way more like yours.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:56:00 am by Julio »
Partidas al Twilight Struggle. Spanish blog with AAR of some games and other TS considerations.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 03:03:21 am »

FR is somehow like NATO. It's never bad to have it in comparison with not having it but almost never worth triggering as the event by US.

The only difference is that FR costs only 2 Ops so US may sometimes headline it if he really has nothing better to headline and just has to waste 2 Ops. For NATO this is never true.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

DeDaan

• Wargameroom username: DeDaan
  • Gaming is living!
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
    • United Friends Boardgaming
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 03:05:03 am »

Sometimes Formosan Resolution is the reason I take Taiwan as the USSR, especially when the US overcontrol South Korea after a failed Korean War. Of course the USSR should have played at least 1 IP in S.Korea to be able to enter Taiwan, but most of you agree this is a good move anyway.
Interested in taking part in face-to-face, online or PbEM events? Check my website!

sspiker

• Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 03:55:51 pm »

The problem is its so inefficient to play it for yourself. You need to waste the two ops and an AR (or headline, I suppose), then invest three ops into the country, in return for a speculative domination (IF its a 3-3 split, and that split never changes) along with restricting your ability to play the China Card.

I'll admit its come in handy when my opponent has had to use it. I'll realize its still in effect, drop 3 into Taiwan, and boom. But I can't see ever actively trying to achieve this scenario.

Chimista

• Wargameroom username: chimista
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 06:48:56 am »

Totally agree.

Even if you secure Taiwan to win domination USSR can deny it by taking enough low stability SE Asia countries (Any 3 ops card is enough to flip one, if not overprotected). As US I only invest in Taiwan when USSR activates Formosa, otherwise is too expensive. In TS is very important to consider cost of oportunity. Those ops would give you more return in other regions: Africa, SA or even CA.

budzo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 08:44:49 am »

I would say its an oportunity in situation when cheap asia countries are taken and theres turn 3 and above. I agree its not worth to play in turn 1 or 2 when every ops are precious.

Its also a case: should USSR player activate formosan so freely? Cause i fell like now its like free 2 ops card for ussr wchich i certnailny dont agree with.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 01:53:53 pm »

I guess USSR should. It's hard for me to imagine a situation in which USSR has better option to handle FR than to activate it. Delaying it may make some sense, spacing it makes none.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

budzo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 06:23:59 am »

I think playing it very fast like in turn 1 makes more sense than delaying because us player often needs to play china card in that time.

As for late i would consider playing formosan with 3-3 split and taiwan not taken or taken by usa as a mistake, unless u REALLY dont have other choice.

DC-Chaos

• Wargameroom username: Damien_TS
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 05:39:47 pm »

If you play this for it's event...

You remove a US event from the game very early
You lose 2ops from your hand by playing the event
You have to spend 3ops to get Taiwan and make use of it's power (which is a lot of OPs for the US early on)
You give the USSR an extra reason to hold onto the China Card

in exchange you get one extra battleground in Asia. I think that if you used the time and OPs to try to move into more important parts of the board it'd be more worthwhile. By keeping the event in the deck you help to keep the number of US cards up for the reshuffle and the USSR will eventually play it for you anyway.

I see this card as a nice option to help out the US if Asia is in a certain board position but nothing to base a whole strategy on. I wouldn't try to activate if I was blue and would rarely think twice about playing it if I was red.

budzo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 11:16:24 am »

I would play formosan as us in one case:

If I already have Taiwan and it gives me domination. In that case I consider playing it as useful. I also woudnt play china to cancel it if i see an opprotunity of making Asia 4-3 in my favour not to mention advantages of having China card on hand.

Also I woudnt reccomend activating it as ussr when u dont have at least 4 asian battlegrounds and do not intend to take Taiwan, especially in mid war.

I discuss it as rather mid war meaning than early

Finglove

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 06:03:06 am »

Taiwan is also helpful for the Korean war too, so if I have spare ops in the early war it's far from the worst place to dump them. Ideally this event is activated by USSR as mentioned below.

Chimista

• Wargameroom username: chimista
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 06:53:35 am »
+2

The concept of "dumping" ops it's totally against the strategic reality of the early war in this game: there's a world available for conquest and 3ops can win you 3 African BG's, for example, or can be used to secure the three cheap mediterranean countries after Marshall Plan. You can invest 3 ops in CA to secure Mexico and place 1 ip in Costa Rica, as a threat to Cuba and a way back to Panama in case of a USSR weak coup. You can invest 3 ops in ME to secure presence there in case of a Muslim Revolution. You can take 3 cheap SE Asia non BG useful to prevent domination in Asia or to score vps when SE Asia score card comes. Basically there are tons of options that are better value for 3 ops than a +33% chance of wining Korea War.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:56:59 am by Chimista »

blitzgordon

• Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 08:35:12 pm »
+1

The concept of "dumping" ops it's totally against the strategic reality of the early war in this game: there's a world available for conquest and 3ops can win you 3 African BG's, for example, or can be used to secure the three cheap mediterranean countries after Marshall Plan. You can invest 3 ops in CA to secure Mexico and place 1 ip in Costa Rica, as a threat to Cuba and a way back to Panama in case of a USSR weak coup. You can invest 3 ops in ME to secure presence there in case of a Muslim Revolution. You can take 3 cheap SE Asia non BG useful to prevent domination in Asia or to score vps when SE Asia score card comes. Basically there are tons of options that are better value for 3 ops than a +33% chance of wining Korea War.
I have nothing useful to offer but this:
Preach, Chimista, preach that shit! Your words are a shining beacon of urgency and pressure, and totally on the money (or beet, in the case of Soviet). I constantly find myself making the mistake of settling down in some weird, comfortable rut halfway in to a game. I'll put an IP in Israel, secure France with one more just in case, maybe put another one i South Africa in case I decide to get it later... All this stuff that really serves no clear, defined, purpose. And when I lose, I often feel it's because I never projected my power in a focused manner.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 22 queries.