Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wargames Variant  (Read 1924 times)

AAhern

• Wargameroom username: Ahern
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Wargames Variant
« on: November 04, 2013, 09:41:07 pm »

I'd be curious at others thoughts on this:

Wargames:  Same rules as currently, except the opponent gets to take one more action round before the game ends.

I think this might add some intrigue and risk in a player deciding to play wargames, and steer one away from playing wargames in marginal situations (or if someone thinks they are going to lose at the end anyway, they risk it - particularly towards the end of a turn).  The instant ending aspect of the Wargames card has always bothered me, and I think this would add an interesting element and keep with the theme of the card.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Re: Wargames Variant
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:26:51 am »

What's the exact wording of your new Wargames variation?

Edge cases (in the sense what should happen then in your proposal):
1. The player plays Wargames, the opponent's AR does not change VPs but raises DEFCON.
2. USA headlines Duck and Cover, USSR headlines Missile Envy and draws Wargames. The pre-requisite for the event is met and the next AR belongs to USSR who happens to be the triggerer of Wargames.
3. Wargames is triggered as an empty event because the prerequisite is not met (DEFCON too high) and the opponent's next AR drops DEFCON to 2.
4. USSR leading by 5VPs triggers Wargames on AR7 because he knows that USA has an unfavorable Scoring Card left. US player responds with playing something else without changing the VPs, effectively holding Scoring Card at the end of the Turn.
5. Wargames is triggered as the very last AR in the game: US T10AR7.
6. Same as 5. except USSR has the right to play T10AR8 due to Space Race which he refuses.
7. Same as 6. which leaves USSR with Scoring Card held.
8. Wargames is triggered by USA on T9AR7 with North Sea Oil active which USA wants to make use of by playing T9AR8.
9. Same as 8. except USSR has the right to play T9AR8 due to Space Race which he refuses.

Regardless, it's a nice idea  :)
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

AAhern

• Wargameroom username: Ahern
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 12:23:02 pm »

I clearly have not thought through all of the ramifications, all good questions!

On question #1:  Probably the most likely to come up.  I think on raising DEFCON you could go either way - I could see a case for raising DEFCON causing the wargames event to no longer be active (translating to the theme of the game, perhaps the tension has been sufficiently lifted); or that raising DEFCON at this point doesnt have an effect (once the wargames are in motion, cant be undone).

I'd also insert a rule that if the wargames result in a tie, that the game plays on (the wargames were inconclusive).

Question #2:  Probably would word this so that the game ends after the next AR of your opponent.  So in this example, both the USSR and the US would take a turn.

Question #3:  Very unlikely to occur.  I'd think here the wargames event doesnt happen.

Question #4:  US should be forced to play its scoring card as its last turn, by not doing so I think its non-compliant with the rules.  Think US should lose the game.

Question #5, 6, 7:  I would actually say that if the US played Wargames in any AR7, that the Wargames take effect without the USSR getting another turn (unless USSR entitled to take another turn, in which case the USSR can take that turn if it wishes to before the event happening).

Question #8, 9:  No additional turn for US

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 02:16:40 pm »

First of all, let me propose the wording:

If after your opponent's next Regular Action Round DEFCON is at 2, you may immediately end the game giving your opponent 6VPs.
How about a nice game of chess?

By "Regular Action Round" I mean an Action Round which is taken or is skipped by force (no cards, Quagmire, etc.) but not one that is a privilege, like an AR8. The key of the wording is the order:

• You play Wargames as an event
  • The next Action Round of your opponent happens
  • The pre-requisite may be not met and Wargames is discarded (but not removed!) with no effect, you've effectively wasted 4 Ops (3 if Purged), but the pre-requisite may as well be met and you then decide whether to end game or not. Whatever the decision, the card is removed.

Now to your replies:

#1 is OK. However, I don't like this foregoing with a tie. First, the very strategic question of Wargames is whether to play it for a tie or take a risk and try to win the game, either by Wargames or by Scoring. This is especially true if USSR is to trigger Wargames with slightly dominant position at the beginning of the Late War, and especially if USSR cannot hold card.

By the way, I'm not sure why a player would give you 6VPs and play on instead of taking 4 Ops and play on (even instead of playing Wargames as a null event if drawn for Missile Envy or so).

#2 is OK and my wording covers it.

#3 is likely if returned to headlined Missile Envy.

#4 is not so clear. The Turn ends with US holding Scoring Card but before the Turn ends, the Action Round ends, and this is the moment when Wargames should end triggering, after which the game is over. Of course with my wording USSR player would choose not to end the game and would win due to holding Scoring Card but I guess your idea is that one who triggers decides whether Wargames end the game or not before opponent plays his AR.

#5, #6 and #7 should be IMHO handled same way as "We Will Bury You!!!" triggered by the US on T10AR7. BTW: I don't know how it works if US has the right to T10AR8 ((a) and refuses, (b) and plays something else but UN).

#8 I can't see the reason why US can't play T9AR8, then T10 headline, then after USSR's T10AR1 the game ends (or not if pre-requisite is not met).

#9 Same as above, since AR8 is generally considered a privilege, not an obligation, therefore refusing it should have no explicit negative consequences to the player.

Best regards :)
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.