Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Beginner question - USA strategy after a massive t1ar1 Iran coup  (Read 5595 times)

discomute

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile

Pretty much what the headline says

My friend and I have now clocked 10 games and we are coming along

But we still are uncertain of the best strategy if USSR manage to coup Iran and have 4 or 5 influence in there.

What does USA do next? Coup Syria? Ops into Greece/some of Asia? Coup Iran anyway?

Is there a generally accepted next move?

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Re: Beginner question - USA strategy after a massive t1ar1 Iran coup
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:14:08 am »

Play with +2IPs for US and put them into Iran so the best USSR can have is 0/3 after the first coup  ;)

But seriously: it depends on the cards but generally I'd give up Iran (which also gives up Western Asia). Your priority is now not to get wiped out of the Middle East entirely. If you opened with empty WG and have 1 in Turkey it's easier but I'd put 1 into Lebanon and 2 into Egypt notwithstanding (to protect Israel from Arab-Israeli War).

It's important to go to Egypt instead of, say, Jordan. First, it gives you access to Libya. Second, Egypt coup, if performed by USSR, drops DEFCON to 3, after which you immediately go to Malaysia, and probably give up only Middle East Domination for the Early War. Europe is likely to be even or at -1, Asia may end up with -3 but not worse.

Some deviations are possible, however. If USSR couped Iran from 1/0 to 0/4 with Duck and Cover, you go to Malaysia immediately (protecting Israel via Lebanon at the same move if you can, of course). If USSR's headline wiped you out of ME entirely (A-I War or Suez), your best bet is probably to expand all over the map, adding maximum fuel to the fire: put 1 into Malaysia, 1 into Colombia, 1 into Angola (and maybe even 1 into Mexico if you have a 4Ops card). With DEFCON at 4 you can always count on the last battleground coup (hopefully USSR won't coup Angola to 0/5).
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

discomute

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:17:16 am »

Interesting - sorry what does 'empty WG' mean?

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:07:52 am »

Empty West Germany -- US opening setup that puts no influence to West Germany. Usually it's something like 1SPA/4ITA/1GRE/1TUR. The idea is to get three benefits. First, you may play Blockade without handsize reduction and without penalty. Second, you may soon and cheaply grab enough countries to prevent Soviet Europe Domination/Control even if you miss Marshall Plan. Third, you have additional access to Middle East via Turkey and Syria, making you effectively immune to Soviet headline+AR1 combo wiping you off Middle East entirely, plus you achieve it without resigning from overprotecting Italy and without wasting extra influence by putting it anywhere but in Iran.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 04:49:45 pm »

plus ussr can just take w germ then france and possibly brush war italy (unlikely yes) to europe control. Not to mention that europe is easiest  for usa to get domination wchich by that move u simply give up.

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 05:52:21 pm »

According the topic:

Do not lower defcon unless u have destal decol and vietnam on hand in wchich case ur screwed enough.

I wouldnt play Malaysia cause its risky. If Ussr coups it with high rolls and high ops ur doomed. I personally play into egypt and jordan maybe lebannon. But playing Lebannon is asking for coup because wise ussr player would not lower defcon to hasty and he will take opportunity elsewere. If ussr coups egypt or panama then play Malaysia.

If u have de gualle u can consider playing it and putting 3 into France. U can also try to trigger Korean war.

If u have high hand u can try playing 3 or 4 malaysia but i personally dont do that (in case of vietnam ur screwed anyways).

Worst cas is if  uwere hit with with succesful arab israeli war or sues on he.. then u have to coup syria on ur ar1 perhaps with 4 op.

Kazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 04:47:08 am »

I would recommend trying your future game set ups with US starting with 2 influence in Iran instead of just 1.

Spreading into Lebanon and Egypt and then into Libya are wise moves.

Taking the 2 influence countries in Europe is also a sensible objective.

Moving 1 influence into Costa Rica should also be done at some point near the beginning of the game.

The ebb and flow of the game is that the USSR has an advantage at the beginning of the game. As a USA player you have to learn how to make the best out of the bad situations.

DC-Chaos

• Wargameroom username: Damien_TS
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 11:28:24 am »

Most of this has been said already but here's my 2 cents...

Depending on my hand, set-up and Headlines I'd invariably go for Lebanon 1, Egypt 1, Greece 1

This will help you to compete in the ME and start to take over the Mediterranean. Get to Libya as soon as you can and 1 in Costa Rica is good. Asia will have to wait for now as you can't get in there and South Korea is too risky. Not much you can do for now except increase your access to other areas and put down some safety nets. I'd try to keep a high OP card as late as possible in case your opponent tries to get into Pakistan so you can coup him out. After DEFCON goes down you bolt for Thailand and the other SE Asia countries to stop a USSR dominated Asia.

I agree with the other posts that you should be using extra influence for the US to stop this situation ever coming up. +2 is pretty much standard rules now.

Ilhborg

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 03:04:25 pm »

Just to not open another topic - as the subject is the same, and I'm beginner too.

USSR goes for Iran and I cannot coup it back.
-> How can I fight for Asia? I see a lot of different chances here
1) going for South Est 
2) going for South Korea - Japan
3) avoid USSR taking Burma and get a lucky Indo-Pakistan war
but I don't know if these efforts are cost efficicents or if I've just to let USSR control Asia
->  How can I defends ME ?
As Nasser menaces Egypt, Israel is too expensive to control (and risky) and you're 2 step away from all the other BGs?
I read here a lot of you are not scared of Nasser - how do you counter it?

Riku Riekkinen

• Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 09:20:44 am »

Yes, SE Asia can give you enough contries for draw even though USSR controls more BGs. SKorea is also good after Korean War. Also one option is let USSR have it. Sometimes USSR takes all (Iron Triangle), SE Asia & Koreas. That is usually too many IPs spent by USSR to Asia and you should just concentrate on other regions.

Nasser doesn't kill all US IPs, just halves them. So 2IPs to Egypt => one will stay after Nasser & you got a route to Libya. Also USSR will have to put 3rd in order to control Egypt after that. Meaning he will lose 3 with Sadat (and more importantly you get control with Sadat).

Kazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 02:01:54 am »

If Defcon is at 4 after the Iran coup - say USSR won it handsomely.

What is USA's best move from here. Lower the defcon just for the sake of it or start moving into Malaysia without cover?

Or just start moving through the ME and wait for USSR to lower it next go?

Ilhborg

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 01:24:25 pm »

From this article on the site
http://twilightstrategy.com/2011/12/12/general-strategy-turn-1/

As US

Assuming the USSR takes Iran, you have quite a few priorities:

Protect Israel via Lebanon and/or Jordan.
Make your way through Egypt into Libya before Nasser wipes you out.
Gun for Thailand via Malaysia.
Shore up South Korea while guarding against the Korean War.
When you have a chance, take Greece and Turkey before the USSR does.
If the USSR opening coup of Iran is too good, then I wouldnít bother dropping DEFCON to 3 by couping Iran back.  You not only risk being couped back if you succeed, but the USSR may be able to take Thailand first with Decolonization if you donít succeed.  On the other hand, if the coup was weak, then Iím willing to gamble on the Iran coup in hopes of getting something into western Asia.  Overall, Iíd much rather have the last coup of the turn than the second-to-last.

On the whole, your goal should be to survive rather than triumph.  All of the initiative is with the USSR; your main objective is simply not to fall behind too much in board position and VPs.  You should accept the fact that you will almost certainly be behind in VPs at the end of the Early War.  Thatís OK, so long as you arenít losing in every region.  Recognize when one region is beyond repair with just Ops, so you can cut your losses and be content to tread water there until you are able to take advantage of a major event to shake things up.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 22 queries.