Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Formosan Resolution questions  (Read 2370 times)

Rune_TS

• Wargameroom username: Rune_TS
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Formosan Resolution questions
« on: January 13, 2014, 12:17:05 pm »

Hello everyone, I'm still new to this great game and I have two questions regarding Formosan Resolution.

1. Is the card removed from play when the Asia Scoring card is played? This seems to be the case when playing online. However, my interpretation of the card text is that the card can effect more than just one scoring as long as the US hasn't played the China Card.

2. The card text says that the card should be discarded if the US plays The China Card. But the card is in fact removed from play, right? Not discarded. (Because of the asterisk).

Hope you guys can help me with these noob questions :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:53:40 pm by Rune_TS »

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Re: Formosan Resolution questions
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 01:53:38 am »

Hello,

Welcome to the game! Hope you enjoy many fun hours with it as we all have.

1. Formosan Resolution's effect does not stop 'existing' until the US plays the China Card. So as long as the US hasn't played it, then it can be scored many times. However, it only accounts for when playing the Asia Scoring Card or final scoring. (You wouldn't count Taiwan as a bg-country for say, the Kitchen Debates bg country tally.)

2. The card is already removed from play by the event happening, so really what it means is that the effect is cancelled. (Frequently for cards that have an on-going effect, you place the card face-up on the board so you don't forget about it. Same with NORAD and NATO and such.)

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 02:37:35 am »

Note aside: I don't really understand why NORAD coin isn't included in the game. Unlike many other on-going events which may as well be represented with cards NORAD would be much more convenient if I could just put it so it partially covers the DEFCON 2 square.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

Rune_TS

• Wargameroom username: Rune_TS
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 04:45:37 am »

@ Cal
Thanks for the answer! It seems I have played it right then.
And I'm pretty sure WGR got it wrong - regarding my first question, not the discard thing.
Edit: WGR got it right! I just checked  :P

@ Pietshaq
I totally agree. But I just place a 1 influence US marker on Defcon 2 instead.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 06:41:24 am by Rune_TS »

Comrade Pwnuby Khilemolov

• Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 06:44:16 pm »

I agree on the need for a Norad coin. I even made one using the blank coins from the 1989 game. The main reason why I think they didn't include one is that Norad is an optional card added in for the new edition, and it either got lost along the paperwork, or it was not economically feasible to make coin changes at the printing stage. Possibly a mixture of both.

Personally, I just put the Norad card next to Canada to reminds the US player to control Canada, and then once that has been met, I put it down near DEFCON 2 square instead. This covers up the Africa scoring table, but I find Africa scoring comes around less often than Norad being triggered.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 05:15:05 am »

In 2nd Deluxe edition the Card on the DEFCON track covers South American southern battlegrounds + Uruguay and Paraguay :)

I also have a self-made NORAD coin (I used bingo coin instead) but it's not the only lack. I'd like to have more 5+ influence coins for either side (they could put less 3 and 4 instead, there are always far too many of them). I guess North Sea Oil needs a coin because this is the only (?) card that has two different ongoing effects, one of which is everlasting and other of which stopping at the end of the turn. Chernobyl would probably need a coin since it's easier to put a coin than a card on a region scoring table. I'd also add two coins for RS/P and two coins for Latin American Death Squads because these cards may be in double effect at the same time, or both players may be affected by them at the same time (which is irrelevant for LADS in sense of coins since the effects just neutralize each other but is relevant for RS/P).

The coins that might be eliminated (to make place for the coins above) are IMHO:
* Flower Power; the card is so easy to forget that a card is used instead of coin by almost all players I observed.
* Marshall Plan and Warsaw Pact Formed may be put into a single coin indicating that either of the events was played; from the rules' point of view you never need to know which one was it.
* Bear Trap, Quagmire: usually last short or affect game so dynamically that card doesn't bother.
* Second Card Spaced Coins: these could be a single coin with a blue side and a red one. It's not possible that both players space two cards in the same turn, is it?
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.