Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: NORAD and wargameroom  (Read 1603 times)

discomute

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
NORAD and wargameroom
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:01:41 pm »

Just played online for the first time and I picked up on something an wondered if the online program did it wrong

If USSR plays NORAD and Canada is not controlled, does the card get discarded?

It is my belief it should not, as the event says "if..." and as this prerequisite is not met it should not be discarded

But it does get discarded online.

Who is right?

Jack Rudd

• Respect: +17
    • View Profile
Re: NORAD and wargameroom
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 10:14:25 pm »
+1

Just played online for the first time and I picked up on something an wondered if the online program did it wrong

It is my belief it should not, as the event says "if..." and as this prerequisite is not met it should not be discarded

Who is right?

The online program is right. The reason for this is that the scope of the "if..." is subtly different from those of the other cards that start with an "if". On those, you check whether the relevant condition applies right now, and only do the effect if it does. On NORAD, the "if" is triggered not by the card's being played, but by DEFCON's dropping to 2, and it's at that point that you check the ownership of Canada.

discomute

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:16:58 am »

Who is right?

The online program is right. The reason for this is that the scope of the "if..." is subtly different from those of the other cards that start with an "if". On those, you check whether the relevant condition applies right now, and only do the effect if it does. On NORAD, the "if" is triggered not by the card's being played, but by DEFCON's dropping to 2, and it's at that point that you check the ownership of Canada.

Okay hang on I think I get you.

Do you mean that if Canada is NOT controlled

And NORAD is played

Then NORAD is in effect

But nothing happens

But afterwards if you then control Canada, and the defcon drops to 2, you will get to place the ops

Even if you didn't control Canada when the card was played

Jack Rudd

• Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 10:45:10 am »

Who is right?

Okay hang on I think I get you.

Do you mean that if Canada is NOT controlled

And NORAD is played

Then NORAD is in effect

But nothing happens

But afterwards if you then control Canada, and the defcon drops to 2, you will get to place the ops

Even if you didn't control Canada when the card was played
Yes, that's exactly it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.