Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: UN Intervention question  (Read 2496 times)

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
UN Intervention question
« on: February 06, 2014, 03:07:11 am »

Hi!

Just noticed that on wargameroom drawing UN Intervention to Grain Sales to Soviets makes it impossible to play UN Intervention as an event (even if it's not in headline phase). The programming reason is, to use UN Intervention event you have to play the opponent's card first, then use UN to cancel it.

At first sight I thought it was a bug. Then I had a talk to one of the strongest TS Polish players. And then I started thinking. These are my thoughts for now:

The UN Intervention play simultaneously with opponent's event associated card must be always considered as if the opponent's card was one to be played, not UN Intervention itself (for the purpose of replying to the question: which card did the player play). The word "simultaneously" may be a little confusing but let's get help of the historical approach and the card name itself. It's UN Intervention. You don't intervene into something that is yet to happen; you intervene to nullify or mitigate effects of something you consider bad.

Therefore I consider UN Intervention as a part of playing your opponent's event associated card, one of ways to deal with it, not as playing UN Intervention event itself.

Edge cases:
  • If Missile Envy draws UN Intervention, the UN Intervention is always discarded with no effect.
  • If Grain Sales to Soviets draws UN Intervention, the card must be played for Ops or returned.
  • If Grain Sales to Soviets draws USSR event, the card may be played simultaneously with UN Intervention (provided US player has it and wishes to play it) to avoid the event. This applies even if USSR plays Grain Sales.
  • If Star Wars picks UN Intervention, the card must be discarded again with no effect.
  • If Star Wars picks USSR event (for example, Star Wars played by USSR with Deconolization being the only card on the discard pile), it may be cancelled by UN Intervention posessed by US player. However, he may not use USSR event's Ops (as he could not use them if the event had triggered without UN Intervention).
  • UN Intervention is considered played for the event if and only if it prevents triggering an event which would be triggered otherwise. This matters for "We Will Bury You!!!" and "U-2 Incident".

What do you think?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:09:12 am by pietshaq »
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

Azuredarkness

• Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Re: UN Intervention question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 04:19:26 am »

I always thought the text on "UN Intervention" should be "Discard an event associated with your opponent. You may use the operations value of the discarded card to conduct operations", as this would prevent much confusion in interpreting the effect text.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 04:21:38 am by Azuredarkness »

TwilightOnline

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Struggle Online
Re: UN Intervention question
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 04:07:58 pm »

So it looks like the Wargameroom has it wrong then ? It's an interesting corner case...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.