Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 1570 times)

JGH

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Introductions
« on: October 23, 2012, 11:38:19 am »
+2

Hello,

I'm JGH, a Montrealer by birth and, by now, also by choice. I'm an avid TS fan, although I've mostly played IRL. Recently, I've started using the Vassal engine, and while I enjoy the online game, I still undoubtedly prefer playing in person.

Besides TS (!), I'm a consultant in environmental issues, water issues, and international law and policy (as in pertains to those two issues). It's a pretty fun gig, and allows me to work in a bunch of different places, with a bunch of different people.

I'm a recent wargamer, with TS being my first introduction to that world. I now also regularly(-ish) play Hannibal:Rome v. Carthage. A great game, which I highly recommend. And, like most of you, while I'd love to play more of TS, time is never really on my side!

So pleasure to meet all of you, and thanks to theory for setting all this up. It's a wonderful resource!

Klinsy73

• Wargameroom username: Klinsy73
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 12:51:15 pm »
+1

Hi,

My first true love is/was Scrabble. I've played at the highest echelons in the Uk as well as the International Stage. I've organised events at all levels too. I begun flirting with poker a few years back. I enjoyed her ample charms of increased prize money and better looking venues that she was held in. I won a holiday to St Lucia and several thousand quid on my best days. However poker is a fickle animal and you cannot rely on her for kicks.

I decided to turn my attention to boardgaming. For some reason on a holiday in Germany I found myself being inveigled by Settlers. We got into it in a big way and ended up with the 3-d set. And I've just sold that set which shows my loyalties are shifting again. Our board game collection expanded and we have all the usual suspects of Euro-games heading up the BGG top 20.

I avoided TS for some time thinking as a two player game it was not going to suit the three (wife and son) of us. However I've just found TS utterly infectious. I am shamelessly addicted. I miss her badly when I've not had regular contact. My wife understands to a point. She plays but I can tell one game every few days and she is done. My son who is 12 is really good but even his appetite can be satiated.

I therefore trawl Wargameroom like a hopeless addict. I'm happy to play onlne but I do love getting out the de-luxe set. What a possession of timeless beauty. I love the drip drip release of the TS cards from Theory and this site is another fantastic addition. Thanks to Theory. I have recently procured a copy of Labyrinth. I do worry how toxic this relationship could become.

By the way I also swim, run, play tennis and cycle whenever I can. It's like spinning plates and keeping an eye on of all my interests and loves. I work for the UK civil service and live in Loughton just outside London. Happy to host a game if anyone is passing by...

Cheers,
Chris

tandoorichicken

• Wargameroom username: Tandoori_TS
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 01:40:32 pm »

Similar experience with poker.  If you really want to make money at it, it quickly becomes much more like a job than a game.  The best profit is had by playing weak players, but of course that is also mind-numbingly boring.  Playing against strong players is much more fun, but far less profitable.  That being said, poker sure was a handy skill when I was an impoverished student.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 01:42:04 pm by tandoorichicken »

Iyreodfu

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:49:06 am »

Yeah, I like a lot.

Warpimp

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 08:10:07 pm »

Hello all! Just discovered this game and looking for someone to play with!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.