Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: VP Autovictory Question  (Read 1543 times)

MollyMae

• Respect: +2
    • View Profile
VP Autovictory Question
« on: June 03, 2014, 04:09:57 pm »

Situation: -18 VP, USSR controls 2+ countries for OPEC.  The US has control of Europe.  It's USSR AR7 and he has OPEC and Europe Scoring.

Question: Can the USSR play OPEC to trigger a 20 VP autovictory?  He holds Europe scoring, but the turn isn't technically over to check for held scoring cards.  My initial impression is that, yes, the USSR could make this play.  On a different forum, however, someone mentioned that it would be an illegal play.  I noticed in the questions for Jason Matthews, a similar question came up and someone said it might be legal, but there was no further clarification.  The very nature of the term "autovictory" makes me strongly believe that it is a legal play.

The same situation could arise with Alliance for Progress and the US and I would assume the same answer for that situation, as well.

Any insight?

Billw147

• Wargameroom username: Billw147
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Re: VP Autovictory Question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 01:44:16 am »

As far as I am aware, it's not illegal to hold a scoring card, but once that phase of the turn comes around (it's been errata'd to be before mil ops check), you would lose if you held a scoring card.
  So you are correct in your assumption.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:17:06 am »

I guess it's legal.

Technically it does not differ much from playing Five Year Plan in your last Action Round to get rid of Scoring Card you don't want to score. At the moment of playing your last Action Round you hold Scoring Card but at the moment of checking whether you did it or not you don't have one.

A trickier version of what you described here is when USSR holds Europe Scoring with US control but US has some USSR favorable Scoring Cards and USSR knows it (perhaps by Aldrich Ames). There's still a chance to autovictory by holding even more than one Scoring Card if US is forced to play one of his Scorings due to lack of other cards and loses the game. If you were left with three Scoring Cards and two Action Rounds to play, would an autovictory be OK? What about two Scoring Cards with one Action Round? Same applies to one Scoring Card and zero Action Rounds.

Things in TS have effects in certain moments. You use CIA operation points after you see USSR's hand. You don't lose when your opponent controls Europe, you lose when an Europe Scoring is played during this state. And, you don't lose just because you have the Scoring Card in your hand. You lose when you have it at the moment of checking whether you have it or not.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

MollyMae

• Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 01:01:26 pm »

Thanks much.  It's nice to have a place to clarify some of these questions that have been sitting in the back of my mind.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.