Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Flower Power and An Evil Empire  (Read 1904 times)

Vell

• Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Flower Power and An Evil Empire
« on: June 10, 2014, 11:22:00 am »

Hi all.

Just a question that should be easy to answer. I need a second opinion to confirm my ponit of view... or to turn it down.

The situation is as follows:

An Evil Empire has been played as Event, and Missile Envy is played by USSR. US gives Flower Power to USSR in exange, what happens?

A- Since Flower Power can't be played as event, USSR player can play it for OPs - Should be the right option
B - Since Missile Envy makes  the player receiving the card play it as event if it is one of his own events, but the event has been cancelled by An Evil Empire, the card can't be played and it is an empty AR for USSR - I belive it's the wrong answer
C - Something weird non considered option triggers at that point.

In my opinion the right option is A, just as would happen with Arab-Israeli war and Camp David in case Arab -Israeli war was given to USSR after having played Camp David.

Thanks for your help!

MollyMae

• Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: Flower Power and An Evil Empire
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 06:59:18 pm »
+1

I agree that it should be played the same was as Camp David Accords + Arab-Israeli War. 

Is there a precedent for that, though?  My instinct would tell me that B is correct for both, but if there's some accepted reason that AIW is played for Ops when USSR gets it from ME, I would think that it should also apply to Flower Power + An Evil Empire.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 03:57:12 am »
+1

B is correct for both.

No part of Missile Envy allows playing a received card for ops unless this is an opponent associated event card or a card the event text of which allows using its ops straightforward (e.g. ABM or Grain Sales to Soviets). A card is played just as if USSR player had played Flower Power as a headline. It would be a wasted one.
The same applies if the drawn event cannot be played yet. For example, if US plays Missile Envy and receives back NATO before it may be played as an event: US makes no use of the drawn card (except from recuding ops in USSR's hand). The same also applies if the drawn event cannot be played now not because it is either too early or too late but because some pre-requisites are not met. Exchanging Missile Envy to Kitchen Debates is somewhat rare but receiving Our Man in Tehran is not that unlikely. And no, US may not use ops from Pahlavi just because he did not pay enough attention to control any Middle East country.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:58:34 am by pietshaq »
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

Vell

• Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:39:30 am »

So it looks like I was fully wrong then.   :-\

Thanks a lot to both!

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 10:05:18 pm »

Exchanging missile envy for a pointless Arms Race is not uncommon, and I've seen Missile Envy be traded for a NATO that couldn't be played as an event.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.