Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Star Wars: discard or out of game  (Read 1943 times)

Jirisan

• Wargameroom username: Jirisan
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Star Wars: discard or out of game
« on: August 26, 2014, 06:42:36 pm »

Hello.

If I am ussr, ahead in the space race, playing Star Wars for Ops.
What happens to the card?
Rules are confusing. Rules about card play says that events (star wars) that results in no effect would be removed if it has an asterix.
However, example four (page 5 rule book) says the Star Wars card is returned to the discard pile.

Which one is it?

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Re: Star Wars: discard or out of game
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 02:42:06 am »

Discard pile.

Starred events are removed after they happen. You have to distinguish between a situation when the event happens with no effect (for example, Truman Doctrine with no country to remove the influence from) and a situation when the event does not happen because the pre-requisite of this event is not met. This may be true for Star Wars, Kitchen Debates, NATO, Our Man in Tehran, Solidarity, maybe some other cards that I have missed. You usually recognize them by either requiring another event to happen before (NATO, Solidarity) or having "If" at the beginning of the event text.

However, if only part of the event is conditional, the whole event is considered to have happened even if the condition is not met. Soviets Shoot KAL-007 with no US control over South Korea is a good example.

The events also happen when the condition decides about the event result. For example, Blockade, if triggered, is always happening, no matter whether US discards a card or not (even if US does not discard a card and does not lose any points).

These are subtelties which will come naturally to you once you will have played 20-30 games. Maybe 40 to better remember the Late War cards' cases.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

Jirisan

• Wargameroom username: Jirisan
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: discard or out of game
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 07:36:51 am »

Thx for the clarification

Was very confusing with the example in the rule book.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 20 queries.