• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Puzzle
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:44:42 am »
+1

Hi!

I have just come up with a puzzle, maybe you will have some fun while solving it  :)

The puzzle:
USSR starts implementing Aldrich Ames Remix which is USSR's headline. US player has at least one card that is a DEFCON suicide card for the US player. US player is not under Quagmire which is already gone from the game. US player does not have the Scoring Cards favorable for the USSR player.
USSR player must discard a card which is a DEFCON suicide card for the US player from the US player's hand to be sure to win the game even if the US player makes no mistake. Discarding any non-DEFCON suicide card from US player's hand (or picking wrong DEFCON suicide card if US player has more than one) leads to US victory.

Compose a scenario fulfilling the assumptions above.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

Billw147

• Wargameroom username: Billw147
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 08:59:34 am »

My gut feeling is that there is more than one scenario, but here is a relatively straightforward one (which itself has several variations), albeit it does depend on US dropping defcon in headline:

USSR on 18+vp, headlines Aldrich and plays Missile Envy round 1.
US headlines Cuban Missile Crisis and holds WWBY and Glasnost and no other 4 op card and China Card (ie not forced to play Glasnost or WWBY and could space one if USSR leaves them both with US)

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 02:00:42 pm »

Good one :) But of course if this was all I would not bother making puzzle, the intended solution to which is much more tricky, so let's assume that before the headline phase DEFCON is at 3 and that neither side has more than 6VPs lead.

Dropping DEFCON by US is OK. The only assumption is that US plays optimal moves from the beginning of the puzzle, i.e. after USSR picks and discards US's card to Aldrich Ames.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 02:02:16 pm by pietshaq »
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72

mihaild

• Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:57:12 am »

US has no influence in BGs outside of Europe and Asia, USSR has no cards which lowers defcon, so defcon is at 3 after USSR's AR1.
US headlined Chernobyl and choosed Europe.
US has WWBY, has enough ops to establish Europe control with it, and does not have without.
It is turn 10, so Europe will be scored after turn.

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 07:27:57 am »

Also seems a good one... and also not the one I thought about  :(
OK, so another condition then: discarding DEFCON suicide card from US hand must lead to DEFCON victory and be the only way to win.

mihaild

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 07:58:36 am »

Ok then.
USSR has 7 scoring cards. US has WWBY, Lone Gunman and full hand of non-important 1OP cards.
Current board position is such that this 7 scores will end with 19US vp, all important countries in are controlled, so US can't change anything with 1OP card (even with coup/realignment).
But with 4OP from WWBY US can break USSR control on some of USSR BG in at least two different regions, having 1 extra point from this region (or even more if it affects domination, for example), and autowin before their AR7.
(the same can be done with Ortega, of course)

UPD: really the case with WWBY should affect domination, as WWBY gives 3 VPs itself.
UPD: it also uses OPs value and almost ignores card text, but I don't see any useful effects on any of US defcon suicides.

UPD2: Sorry, Lone Gunman is not defcon suicide in this case. May be something like this: US has WWBY, Ortega and Lone Gunman, USSR has Duck and Cover, something irrelevant and 6 scoring cards. Need to think more.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:45:46 am by mihaild »

mihaild

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 11:05:17 am »

Ok, next attempt:)

VP is at 0.
US has WWBY, Lone Gunman and some irrelevant 1 OPS cards. US headlined Star Wars, and discard pile is empty.
USSR has 7 scoring cards, summary giving 20 VP to US. However, US can't improve their position.

If USSR discards anything except WWBY, then US just spaces WWBY, holds Lone Gunman till AR7 (or even plays it) and auto-wins before playing it.
However, if USSR discards WWBY, then they get 3 VP, so US don't get auto-win and have to play Lone Gunman.

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 04:05:34 pm »

Your ideas are better and better in sense of creativeness :) They really make me improve my puzzle since the trick I have in mind has still not been resolved  :)

Your solution is formally correct, of course, but assume another thing:

Autovictory during the turn in which the whole scenario is described is impossible for either side. Assume nobody has scoring cards, nobody has Wargames, and nobody has cards that affect the VP track. Assume also that all Space Race attempts will fail during the turn.

mihaild

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 04:34:51 pm »

So, if USSR discards right card, then US lose by defcon this turn, otherwise USSR does? And it is guaranteed (not involving random discards, for example)?

mihaild

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 04:52:53 pm »

One more variant. It technically includes cards that affect VP track, but it is irrelevant.

US headlined Cuban Missle Crisis. US has WWBY, Cultural Revolution, Lone Gunman, China Card and a lot of irrelevant 2- OP cards.
USSR has Grain Sales, CSI, Missile Envy and irrelevant cards. USSR can't space Grain Sales.

USSR discards WWBY, plays Missile Envy, gets China Card and wins by holding both Grain Sales and CSI, while US is forced to play Lone Gunman.
Otherwise, US spaces WWBY, plays China Card and holds Lone Gunman.

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 04:19:32 am »

Wow, your solutions are nice :) Ones I never thought about :)

So, if USSR discards right card, then US lose by defcon this turn, otherwise USSR does? And it is guaranteed (not involving random discards, for example)?

If USSR discards right card, US loses by defcon this turn and this is guaranteed (provided USSR makes use of it. Nobody guarantees that once US plays Lone Gunman USSR will coup to win the game). Otherwise the result may be anything.

But I see that my scenario won't probably come out with the imagination of all of you :)

All right, the last attempt by giving yet one more condition:

WWBY is already out of the game when the scenario begins.

mihaild

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 05:39:07 am »

US has Lone Gunman and Ortega.
IF USSR discards Ortega, US loses by defcon.
If USSR discards anything other, US loses by defcon, which I belive qualifies as "anything":)

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 07:09:30 am »

But does not qualify for "discarding DEFCON suicide card is the only way to force DEFCON win" :)

mihaild

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 03:41:15 pm »

US headlined ABM Treaty and didn't coup, so defcon is at 4.

US has Ortega, How I Learned to Stop Worrying, Lone Gunman and 1 OP cards.
USSR has Missile Envy, and doesn't have Duck and Cover or KAL-007.

USSR discards Ortega, plays Missile Envy, takes HILSW, sets defcon to 2 and wins when US plays Lone Gunman.

Otherwise defcon will be at 3+ after USSR AR1, so US can play Lone Gunman, and then space Ortega.

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 02:14:42 am »

Another nice one  :)

Of course I have to admit that you have solved the puzzle. However, the clue of my idea is still something else  :)

So, how about the following hint/requirement:

USSR plays Missile Envy in AR1 indeed. Construct the situation so that playing Missile Envy is necessary although US has a choice between at least two cards what to give back to Missile Envy.

mihaild

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 01:20:15 pm »

Another solution after half a year of thoughts:)

US headlines Cuban Missile Crisis. US has WWBY, Lone Gunman, 2 4-ops US events. USSR has Missile Envy and a lot of irrelevant 1-ops cards. Cuba is overcontrolled by US, USSR has no influence in Cuba but has influence in Nicaragua.

If USSR discards anything other then WWBY, they have no way to put 2 into Cuba to cancel Cuban Missile Crisis, so US will just play Lone Gunman for ops and space WWBY.
However, if USSR discards WWBY, they get 4 ops with missile envy which can be used to place 2 into Cuba and cancel CMC.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.