Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Basic Rule Qusetion About Playing Cards / Defcon Changing to 1  (Read 1931 times)

iamseannn

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Basic Rule Qusetion About Playing Cards / Defcon Changing to 1
« on: October 01, 2014, 04:51:50 am »

Hey guys,

I just got TS yesterday and we played our first game, but I would just like clarification on 'how' to play cards.

If I am the US player, and a play a card with 2 ops and a US event... Do I have to choose whether to play the event or get the ops, or do I get both?

And if I am the US player and I play a soviet event card, again, do I have to choose, or do i automatically get the ops, and the event fires for the soviets.

And finally, if Im the US player, and a event for both comes up, and do i get the ops and the event, or just the event, or the ops and the soviets get the event.

Defcon Question:

If were at defcon 2 and the US player plays a soviet event that causes it to go to defcon 1, does the soviet player lose due to the event belonging to him, or does the us player lose due to him being the 'phasing player'. (This assumes that the definition of the phasing player is the one whos current action point round it is)

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 07:01:22 am by iamseannn »

Chimista

• Wargameroom username: chimista
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Rule Qusetion About Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 06:10:34 am »

Hey guys,

I just got TS yesterday and we played our first game, but I would just like clarification on 'how' to play cards.

If I am the US player, and a play a card with 2 ops and a US event... Do I have to choose whether to play the event or get the ops, or do I get both?

And if I am the US player and I play a soviet event card, again, do I have to choose, or do i automatically get the ops, and the event fires for the soviets.

And finally, if Im the US player, and a event for both comes up, and do i get the ops and the event, or just the event, or the ops and the soviets get the event.

Thanks for any help!

When you play YOUR card or a NEUTRAL card you have to choose the event OR the ops

When you play ENEMY cards you get the ops and the event is triggered before or after using the ops (you decide)

The exception to this is the headline card: only the event of the card is played (that's why you normally don't headline enemy's cards, because you get nothing, however sometimes you have no choice)

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 06:36:57 am »

One more thing, just to clarify:

If you play the ENEMY card, not only the event is triggered but also the opponent implements it as if he was playing the event himself. It means that if the event reads 'add Influence Points', the opponent adds HIS influence points and decides where to add them (within what the event allows). This might be obvious but I once played against an opponent to whom it was not.

The exception is that Scoring Card, although is a neutral event, is always triggered and can never be changed to zero or null Ops.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

iamseannn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 06:58:57 am »

Thanks guys.

Just a quick follow up.

If were at defcon 2 and the US player plays a soviet event that causes it to go to defcon 1, does the soviet player lose due to the event belonging to him, or does the us player lose due to him being the 'phasing player'. (This assumes that the definition of the phasing player is the one whos current action point round it is)

KingMento

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 09:10:27 am »

Thanks guys.

Just a quick follow up.

The US player would lose, because the phasing player is always reponsible of Defcon dropping to 1. Even if the opposite player does actively cause it implementing his triggered event.

In fact, this is exactly intended to add a layer of complexity to the game: you have to manage carefully cards that can lead to defcon suicide.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:14:07 am by KingMento »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 20 queries.