Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New round counter  (Read 1997 times)

crazyaxe

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
New round counter
« on: October 29, 2014, 06:44:24 am »

Hello everybody,
one of the problem of the game is the round counter.
Every time I play, we have always troubles of keeping the current round. In the game some card force you to use more than one card a time, so in some turn we loose the sense of how much round played.
For this reason I draw this round counter that uses the card played.

Do you have any suggestions?
Best regards
Max

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Re: New round counter
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 05:59:02 am »

Why don't you use Action Round Track which is placed on the board? There is also a special coin to be placed there, red on one side and blue on the other.

Another thing: as far as I understand you, you would like to place cards on your round counter. Technically the played cards are placed either on the discard pile or removed from the game (Shuttle Diplomacy being an exception). Your counter creates two sorts of problems with it: one is that it can't distinguish between discarded and removed card, and another is that it disturbs implementing events that affect the discard pile (for example, SALT Negotiations). If "Ask Notů" is played and the number of removed cards makes it necessary to re-shuffle the pile immediately, it becomes even more problematic. Another instatination of the same problem is playing the China Card and then receiving it back from the opponent (and, possibly, playing it again in the same Turn).

The minor (but existing) problem with your project is that it fails when both players are allowed to play 8 Action Rounds (North Sea Oil vs. Soviet Space Race ending).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:01:06 am by pietshaq »
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

crazyaxe

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 04:41:36 am »

Why don't you use Action Round Track which is placed on the board? There is also a special coin to be placed there, red on one side and blue on the other.
Every time we use it, we loose the sense of the rounds. Too many time we forget to change it. It's unnatural to flip the counter each time, and it's also difficult to reach it in its top board position.

Another thing: as far as I understand you, you would like to place cards on your round counter. Technically the played cards are placed either on the discard pile or removed from the game (Shuttle Diplomacy being an exception). Your counter creates two sorts of problems with it: one is that it can't distinguish between discarded and removed card, and another is that it disturbs implementing events that affect the discard pile (for example, SALT Negotiations).
You are right.
The minor (but existing) problem with your project is that it fails when both players are allowed to play 8 Action Rounds (North Sea Oil vs. Soviet Space Race ending).
You are right.
I'll change it to a 2 counters boards.  ;)

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 07:02:59 am »

2 counters boards solve some issues but not all.

I used to lose the sense of rounds too. This is something a player must eventually remember. I would simplify the solution if losing the sense of rounds is the main problem: take a piece of paper, fold it in half, and write a reminder on a bottom half, like "MOVE THE ROUND COUNTER!"

Put it standing so that it bothers you discard or remove the cards.

Add a rule that a player must either move the round counter or indicate such an intention (for example, verbally) before touching the discard/remove pile with a played card, and if he doesn't and the opponent notices it, this costs 1VP.

2-3 games and you'll remember to move the original counter.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 04:29:14 am »

just use a d6 to show how many cards you should have at the end of each round and adjust when you play cards which change this, normally you just hold 1 (or 2 with China card), then you can easily see by how many cards you have which round it is. Or just make sure you discard all cards which affect the number of held cards to one side, so you can always see a reminder of how many ┤more or less you should hold relative to the default 1(2). Or just play your cards in front of you in a line, flipping or rotating permanent discards etc.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.