Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Holding scoring cards discussion  (Read 1056 times)

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Holding scoring cards discussion
« on: November 13, 2014, 06:44:18 am »

I'm a bit late to the party to throw this into the Jason Matthews interview, but I'm just curious how and when they came up with the idea that scoring cards needed to be played in the turn drawn and not held over. Did they ever playtest a version where scoring cards could be held, and as a general aside to the posters here, what would be the effect in gameplay terms if you could hold onto the scoring cards. Optionally, discuss the effect of being able to space race or even dismiss scoring cards somehow. I'm just curious, I have no vested interest in seeing this as a variant.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Re: Holding scoring cards discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 09:50:00 am »

http://forum.twilightstrategy.com/index.php?topic=53.20;wap2 -- interview with Jason Matthews

"I LOVE how the scoring cards help simulate the paranoia that gripped both superpowers.  Why is he playing operations in South East Asia?  Does he have the SE Asian Scoring card?  I guess I need to play there too!  And then it turns out that your reactions convinces the other player that YOU have the SE Asian Scoring card, and you are both continue escalating until you realize neither of you had it in the first place."

By allowing to hold scoring card you would extract the tense of the game, even more than by allowing to drop DEFCON to 1 with no consequences. Dismissing scoring cards is sometimes possible under certain circumstances, involving well-timed play of particular events. Five Year Plan, "Ask Notů", Our Man in Tehran, Aldrich Ames, and (rarely) Terrorism may be helpful if you're lucky enough and skilled enough to make good use of them.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Holding scoring cards discussion
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 12:00:18 pm »

thanks for the reply!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.