Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: US start balance IPs?  (Read 1358 times)

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
US start balance IPs?
« on: November 18, 2014, 03:13:13 pm »

Does the 2IP (3IP?) I've read about online for starting the USA relate to the deluxe edition that has the optional cards and starting influence in Canada etc, or was this more for older versions without those?

In my games thus far, I've been able to easily weather the early war as the US and often do well through the middle war for a bit, but contrary to what I expected, am struggling to cope in the back end of the midwar and in the late war. I don't know if it's a result of coping "too well" early on at the expense of strategic play on the US side thats coming back to bite me later on

I'm not sure I would want to upset the balance anyway, though I guess just having good control of IRAN in the start might break up the standard Iran coup opening which I've seen in every game so far.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Re: US start balance IPs?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 03:01:44 am »

It is related to the Deluxe edition with Optional Cards and Canada influence at start. 2IPs are considered best nowadays because the score in games between the strong players is closest to 50% with 2IPs in comparison to 1IP or 3IPs. This allows US headline ME Scoring in T1 pretty safely (actually, this is 4VPs unless USSR headlines Nasser or De-Stalinization in which cases it turns to 0VPs and USSR pays extra for this) and prevents a little from being steamrolled before the Mid War cards go into the deck.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 04:23:23 am »

Thanks for the reply. And those 2 extra IPs, both usually go in IRAN or just one in IRAN and one somewhere in Europé?

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 06:47:26 am »

+2 to Iran is the most common setup. Middle East and Western Asia accesses are critical.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.