Author Topic: Intro  (Read 1694 times)

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Intro
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:38:22 pm »
+3

Hi,

I go by Cal on Vassal. If anyone plays Twilight Struggle there, you might see me during normal PST time zone hours.

I hope to connect with people and enjoy comparing strategy.

My playing style is to go for VP whenever possible. That means playing Duck and Cover for the event to get 3 VP (if US) or sending it to space if the USSR, playing Arms Race for VP bonus, and not neglecting the space race. Board position advantages can be neutralized, VP wins you the game. I've won many games by VP when I was being dominated in nearly every region.

I like Twilight Struggle because every game is different and every little action has far reaching consequences that you might not immediately recognize.

GreyhoundGavin

• Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Re: Intro
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 01:27:12 pm »

I tend to play the opposite, giving up the VPs for ops unless I'm within auto - victory's reach -- but you've got me curious.

I'd love to play a game or two against you.  I've never tried Vassal, have you tried ACTS?  I'm on there.  I've tried going to Vassal this morning, perhaps it's not compatible with chrome.

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:58:28 pm »

I wouldn't mind that at all.

I have not tried ACTS. I did a quick search, and it is similar to play-by-mail? I'm wondering how one would keep track of things like dealing new cards, and use of cards like Our Man in Tehran.

Vassal's server seems to be down at the moment, which happens sometimes unfortunately.  It is a really great module because it automates shuffling and every other manipulation. (Such as missile envy, or Quagmire.)

JGH

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 08:33:36 pm »

It is a really great module because it automates shuffling and every other manipulation. (Such as missile envy, or Quagmire.)

Indeed, Vassal is pretty great for that. I play on it to, although in EST. Maybe we'll get to play soon...

bsheehan34

• Wargameroom username: brad_ts
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 11:11:59 pm »

hi Cal..we have had many late night (for me) battles on vassal.

tandoorichicken

• Wargameroom username: Tandoori_TS
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 01:47:33 pm »

Strongly encourage you guys to come over to wargameroom if you haven't already.  I find the overall experience to be preferable to VASSAL (wgr is even more automated, games tend to be faster, standard of opposition appears to be higher).  Having the card text memorized is definitely desirable, although it can be checked reasonably quickly in game if you need a specific reminder.

EDIT: Oh, Brad, looks like you are already on there... we need to get Cal to join.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.