Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How do the Soviets respond to a T1 US "Duck & Cover' Headline?  (Read 2185 times)

Uglymug

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
How do the Soviets respond to a T1 US "Duck & Cover' Headline?
« on: November 18, 2014, 03:39:53 pm »

Alright, pretty new player here.

Something I was just thinking about, most common play by the Soviets on T1 A1 is to coup either Iran or Italy. But what about if the US immediately drops DEFCON to 4 on the headline? That locks out Italy, and makes the US Iranian counter-coup the final word. With out-of-the-box setup it seems like it's still be worth it, because the Soviets also win if they empty even if the US starts at with 1 IP. How does this change though in tourney settings where the US gets +1 IP or even +2?

Is the Iranian Coup still the strongest play for the Soviets then? And if not, what? Conversely then, does this make Duck & Cover a pretty powerful headline for the US on T1?

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Re: How do the Soviets respond to a T1 US "Duck & Cover' Headline?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 03:26:04 am »
+2

Duck & Cover is an awful T1 headline. 3 Ops are simply too precious in the Early War to be exchanged for 1VP. Assuming I did not headline anything meaningful as USSR and assuming I have one 4 Ops card other than China I don't have to coup Iran.

An example play with DEFCON at 4 is 2 to Iraq and 2 to Afghanistan, threatening realignments against Iran. If DEFCON is at 5, this play is well-countered by 4 to Pakistan, where both Indo-Pakistani and China Card coup give 1/3 chance to control Pakistan which can be re-couped in the latter case. But with DEFCON at 4 the situation changes: 4 to Pakistan is countered by the China Card coup with no re-coup option. If the coup totally fails (1), you still control Pakistan and you can comfortably drop DEFCON to protect Iran, then crawl to India. If I roll 2, you must choose between India and dropping DEFCON. If I roll 3 or more, you are no longer in Pakistan and have to move there to protect Western Asia, leaving me the last word to coup. If I am fortunate enough to roll 5 or 6, you no longer can control Pakistan in a single play and you have to choose between just moving to Pakistan (leaving Iran vulnerable to realignments at +1), wasting a 4Ops card to break control in Pakistan AND elsewhere (Iraq or Afghanistan), or just giving up Pakistan and couping anywhere to protect Iran. None of the solutions protects India, and none of the solutions work in a long term because USSR will eventually have a play with DEFCON at 3. What is more, if US plays at DEFCON 3 and does not have time or ops to play into Malaysia, USSR Decol can grab Thailand before the US does.

Summarizing: US faces very serious problems in Asia, quite serious problems in Middle East, and Europe is even because nothing was played here yet (unless by accident, for example if USSR had player Marshall to attack Iran).
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 04:21:23 am »

I want to be good enough to be able to nod in agreement on this :)

Pitlordneverdie

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 04:14:26 am »

Congratulations It's amazing.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.