Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A perfect USSR starting hand?  (Read 2166 times)

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
A perfect USSR starting hand?
« on: November 24, 2014, 06:45:16 am »

I recently pulled this, and wondered how strong it was, I mean, it seems to be very strong, how would you go about playing it (I am a beginner so it's not as obvious as you might think haha). As an interesting aside, if you could preselect your own hand as the USSR, what would you pick?

In both cases (my case, and the preselection), where would you put the starting influence

my hand:
Red Scare / Purge
Nuclear Test Ban
UN Intervention
Marshall Plan
US/Japan Pact
Destalinisation
Blockade
Five Year Plan
(China Card)

Headlining Red Scare means unless he has NATO, Blockade will remove all his influence in West Germany (if he places there).
I can play UN intervention on either Marshall Plan or US/Japan, with the space race taking up the odd one out (or more likely, using US/Japan for OPS&event, and using UN & Marshall)
Test Ban is another OPS monster
Destalinisation immediately gets me into some mid war battlegrounds (I'd be looking at Thailand, Algeria, Argentina for example)
Blockade rips him out of West Germany unless he holds NATO to the end
Five Year Plan is free ops as an AR6 play

Red Scare removes as many as 6 OPS from his cards
Test Ban is 4 OPS
UN & Marshall is 4 OPS
Destalinisation is "4 OPS" of a kind
US/Japan is 4 OPS (though giving him Japan)
Blockade removes 4 IP from WGER in a standard setup
5YP is a free 3 OPS

thats 23 OPS worth of damage, up to a net of 29 considering the Red Scare, and thats without using the China Card - a 5 OPS card if used in ASIA following Destalinization for example.

How would you set up and play this hand?

MollyMae

• Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: A perfect USSR starting hand?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 02:31:07 pm »

I recently pulled this, and wondered how strong it was, I mean, it seems to be very strong, how would you go about playing it (I am a beginner so it's not as obvious as you might think haha). As an interesting aside, if you could preselect your own hand as the USSR, what would you pick?

In both cases (my case, and the preselection), where would you put the starting influence

my hand:
Red Scare / Purge
Nuclear Test Ban
UN Intervention
Marshall Plan
US/Japan Pact
Destalinisation
Blockade
Five Year Plan
(China Card)

Headlining Red Scare means unless he has NATO, Blockade will remove all his influence in West Germany (if he places there).
I can play UN intervention on either Marshall Plan or US/Japan, with the space race taking up the odd one out (or more likely, using US/Japan for OPS&event, and using UN & Marshall)
Test Ban is another OPS monster
Destalinisation immediately gets me into some mid war battlegrounds (I'd be looking at Thailand, Algeria, Argentina for example)
Blockade rips him out of West Germany unless he holds NATO to the end
Five Year Plan is free ops as an AR6 play

Red Scare removes as many as 6 OPS from his cards
Test Ban is 4 OPS
UN & Marshall is 4 OPS
Destalinisation is "4 OPS" of a kind
US/Japan is 4 OPS (though giving him Japan)
Blockade removes 4 IP from WGER in a standard setup
5YP is a free 3 OPS

thats 23 OPS worth of damage, up to a net of 29 considering the Red Scare, and thats without using the China Card - a 5 OPS card if used in ASIA following Destalinization for example.

How would you set up and play this hand?

First, I'd create a slightly different hand by replacing MP with NATO (let the US deal with MP) and taking Defectors so I know where it's at (and can hold it to discard to 5YP).  Also replace Destal with Decol (since Decol can come back, plus you're looking at taking Asia anyway--save Destal for Turn 3+ to get into Africa/S America).

Now, if the US wants MP triggered, he doesn't get the 4 Ops, NATO can be played freely.  I'd also consider replacing Blockade with MP for the Ops.  Give up on Europe and go for Dom in ME and Asia.

Red Scare / Purge (Headline)
4 Nuclear Test Ban
4 NATO (AR1 Coup)
4 US/Japan Pact
Decolonization
Blockade (play on late AR)
3 Five Year Plan (Play on last AR)
Defectors (discard using 5YP)
(China Card) (Keep)

Space Race wastes valuable time.  There's no need for it in this hand.  15 Ops you'll be actually playing (16 if empty WG; 19 if MP instead of Blockade) and Decol.  Not a bad hand, considering the US is under RS/P, so he'll have a tough time countering.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:40:10 pm by MollyMae »

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Re: A perfect USSR starting hand?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 10:37:40 am »

Well i say its not very difficult to create perfect USSR hand since theres maybe 1-2 cards u really dont want to play early (Norad, MP). Creating perfect hand for USA - thats the thing. I often have this problem: having decol and destal is good because the opponent does not have it. But on the other hand - with decol destal, soc govs, de gaulle, vietnam, Nasser u may be having problem playing any effective ops in a turn. So i would say:

RSP - obvious headline
Destal, Decol, Vietnam - thats the thing, having those 3 cards criples u but on the other hand ur opponent does not have the possibility to gain access to SE Asia u know u can safely push defcon to 3 by recouping Iran if neccesery. U space decol and play Vietnam on last action round.
Nuclear Test Ban, NATO (its free 4ops for USSR do not let him have it), US/Japan Mutual Pact.
I am not sure of the last card - MP should be in USSR hand so i would be pleased with 3 ops white card, or De Gaulle to trigger it early and secure France. Ur plan is to invade Pakistan/Recoup Iran, take Thailand and maybe Egypt and take/fight for France.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.