Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What if you could see your next hand?  (Read 1647 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
What if you could see your next hand?
« on: October 25, 2012, 10:31:55 am »

Imagine that after getting your Turn 1 hand, you also deal out and get to look at (but not play, of course) your Turn 2 hand.  When you pick up your Turn 2 hand, you also deal out what remains of the deck (without reshuffling yet), so you see part of your Turn 3 hand.  And so on, for the rest of the game.

I imagine that this would somewhat lengthen the game, but I like the thought of having cross-turn combos.  If you see 3 scoring cards coming up next turn, you can start doing something about it.  And if your opponent randomly starts playing into Central America, does he have it this turn or next turn?

This screws up Our Man in Tehran a little bit, but let's put that aside for now.

ddddddd

• Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Re: What if you could see your next hand?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 02:31:02 pm »

Oh man, this could make the game last much longer! You could agonise for ages over what to play.

If you knew what was coming for you, you'd also know what was coming for your opponent, which would change lots of things. (eg. As USSR I know that Defectors is in my Turn 2 hand, so I can headline with impunity etc.)

I'm trying to think which cards would be most affected. Obviously cards which start/stop other cards from triggering (e.g. Iron Lady, AWACS etc.), cards which give access to regions, and Defcon suicide cards are the first that come to mind...

Jayne Starlancer

• Hero of Canton
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 05:28:12 pm »

Interesting... what if, instead of looking at your whole hand, each action round you draw a card for your next turn's hand, look at it, and then set it aside for next turn. That way you gradually learn what you will have next turn, instead of having to digest it all at once?

ddddddd

• Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 07:32:57 pm »

Interesting... what if, instead of looking at your whole hand, each action round you draw a card for your next turn's hand, look at it, and then set it aside for next turn. That way you gradually learn what you will have next turn, instead of having to digest it all at once?

Interesting idea - I think I like this more, simply in terms of having less of an hour-long, start-of-turn, tactics overload. Was it Toffler who said "Too much information is no information"?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.