Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playing opponent's events AS events  (Read 1390 times)

atalvez

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Playing opponent's events AS events
« on: January 05, 2015, 12:15:44 am »

Hey guys,

While trying out the game for the first time my GF and I ran into a problem. In the rules handbook it says that you may play a card as an event. Then it says: If this is your event, do what it written on the card. Nowhere does it say that you cannot play cards as events that are not your faction's.

My question is: can I play an opponent's event as an event (not for OPS points) and simply have it do nothing. Also, would this make the card get removed from the game if it was a one time event, as those are phrased: remove from game if played as event.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Re: Playing opponent's events AS events
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 02:20:55 pm »

If you play the opponent's card, you take the ops, and the event takes place and your opponent implements the event as if he had played the card himself. You only decide what comes first: his events or your ops. Does not apply when you spend your ops for Space Race in which case the card is discarded but not removed.

See rules: http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/TS_Rules_Deluxe.pdf
Paragraph 5.2 (page 5)
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

atalvez

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 03:39:04 pm »

I am referring to rule 7.1

A player may play a card as an Event instead of Operations.
If the Event is associated with his or her own superpower, or is
associated with both superpowers, it takes effect as directed by
the cardís text.

Notice there is a period between the first two sentences implying that you may play any card as an event, and it will only take effect if it is associated with your superpower.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 07:15:45 am »

Good point but it looks like a minor bug in a rulebook. The mechanics is as I described although I admit that the wording is unfortunate.

5.0 describes how do you handle a card as a whole since it contains some event text, some number, and a star with one or two colours, so what it means.
6.0 describes the mechanics of using Operation points which occurs in situations already described in 5.0.
7.0 describes the mechanics of implementing Event which occurs in situations already described in 6.0.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.