Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: six "if..."cards i have question  (Read 1586 times)

Lee-sunwoo

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
six "if..."cards i have question
« on: January 08, 2015, 11:56:12 pm »

wargames
kitchen debates
starwars
ome small step...
our man in tehran
NORAD

when the "if..."is not met
1) i can't play it
2) i discard it
3) i remove it

...what???

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Re: six "if..."cards i have question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:08:00 am »
+1

Wargames - if u play the event at defcon more than 2 its an empty action. U do nothing card is discarded to discard pile (not removed from the game). Interesting thing - u can play it at Defcon 2 and decide NOT to end the game (then the card is removed from the game)

Kitchen Debates - If US does not controll more battlegrounds event doesnt occur and card is discarded to discard pile.

Star Wars - same as KD

One Small step - same

Our man in Tehran - same

All this card have the same mechanism because they happen only at the moment of play.

NORAD is different because its not active at the moment of playing it, it does something later in the game (like RSP or Quagmire) so this "if" means that at the end of the turn in wchich defcon is lowered u check if Canada is US controlled. If it is then at the end of the turn u add 1 inf in country that u already have at least 1. If Canada is not US Controlled event does not occur.

Norad activates every time the requirements are met (thats why it is so powerful and USSR wants to space it) - until of course Quagmire is activated.

interesting thing: IF USSR coups with Marshall Plan or Special Relantionship and Canada is at 3 u can add one inf to Canada and activate NORAD at the end of the turn.

So generally:

First 4 cards are discarded after played for event (wchich with Wargames and One Small Step doesnt make sense u can just play them for ops)

NORAD "happens" but does something later so it is removed from the game (generally speaking u should leave the card at the table or some marker that will remind u of it)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:12:12 am by budzo »

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 03:05:42 pm »
+1

Just a few notes to budzo's answer:

* NORAD is activated at the end of the Action Round, not Turn. It applies to all Action Rounds, starting from the one that activated NORAD and ended by the one that activated Quagmire. However, the requirements are very rarely met simultaneously: usually once in each turn. Although it is not clearly specified, the ruling is that DEFCON must have dropped to 2 at some moment of the Action Round to meet the requirements while Canada must be controlled at the end of this Action Round. See this thread: http://forum.twilightstrategy.com/index.php?topic=275.0

* Discarding Wargames and One Small Step instead of taking Ops makes no sense indeed but sometimes just happens when one of this card is handed to Missile Envy.

* Arms Race also matches this group of cards, as well as the observation above.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

Lee-sunwoo

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 05:24:41 am »

Thanks for your reply!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.