Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Onlooker's Annotated Game  (Read 1855 times)

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Onlooker's Annotated Game
« on: February 11, 2015, 01:06:56 pm »
+1

Hi!

I made an attempt to annotate a game which I had not played, basing only on wargameroom save file.

http://zimna-wojna.pl/onlookers-annotated-game/

Have a nice reading!
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

KiG

• Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Re: Onlooker's Annotated Game
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 06:58:11 pm »

Thanks, this was an interesting game & analysis to read.

joel88s

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 03:10:57 pm »

I am more or less a beginner and am also enjoying studying this game.
I have played through the first 3 turns so far, and have a question:
At the beginning of Turn 3, when USSR headlined Indo-Pak War for apparent lack of better, what about the idea of headlining Nuclear Test Ban and then couping Italy on AR1 - the only European Battleground not controlled by the USSR at that point?

KiG

• Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 01:46:43 am »

An interesting idea. The USSR would have to roll a 5 or 6 to control Italy with a 3 op Warsaw Pact coup. A point from Marshall Plan should have gone there actually), Truman is still in the deck, and it is ops expensive when there are many other things to do. It also means that the US will likely get a coup somewhere if Italy is uncontrolled. The only other 3 op is EEU so the USSR would have difficulty winning any ops wars in Europe for battlegrounds as well. Of course Marshall Plan meams that it may be difficult to get enough countries for control too. In this game when Europe scoring does arrive USSR doesn't even get domination.

MichaelVal

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 01:32:57 pm »

I am more or less a beginner and am also enjoying studying this game.
I have played through the first 3 turns so far, and have a question:
At the beginning of Turn 3, when USSR headlined Indo-Pak War for apparent lack of better, what about the idea of headlining Nuclear Test Ban and then couping Italy on AR1 - the only European Battleground not controlled by the USSR at that point?

A risky play by the USSR.  If he attempts it, then I'd go all in and use China to make the Italy coup.  That'd give him a 50-50 shot for control of all Euro BGs.  If he fails to control Italy, then he's wasted a perfectly good 4 op card, raised defcon so that US can get in some good coups and get his mil ops.  If he succeeds, then he's in a dogfight for Euro control because the USA can prevent it by equalizing in country count.  USSR would have control of 5 countries.  USA would have control of only 2, but could get to 5 with only 3 ops (1 in each of Canada, Turkey, and Greece).  USA also only needs 2 more ops for control of Denmark and Belgium, while the USSR needs 3 ops to take a 6th and 7th country and 8th country.  But, USSR could use EEU on his AR2, trigger the event first (losing harmless ops from Poland, EGermany, and Finland), play 3 into a country, and then play Warsaw Pact for the event on AR3 playing 5 ops into east Euro non-battlegrounds.  Truman is still out.  Independent Reds is out.  USSR should know that US has Romanian Abdication and is hamstrung with Destal and Decol as well.  Usually, it seems that winning with Euro control is very difficult and spending the time and ops there hurts position elsewhere.  My quick sense is that the risk of failure is too high, but it's certainly something to have considered.  Which, it's likely the USSR never thought about since playing NTB as a headline would be such a non-standard play.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.