Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: planning for Defectors?  (Read 2391 times)

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
planning for Defectors?
« on: February 13, 2015, 10:23:20 am »

I am sick and tired of getting Defectored headlines all the time, like it's happening to me in every game I play these Days, often more than once. Obviously early on you can have a better idea of when your opponent might have the card, but it just feels hopeless when you get hit by it multiple times in the same game. I get that it adds some psychological tension and bluffing, but I mean should you play to assume Defectors is coming when theres more than X% chance its in his hand or what? I even thought about throwing in a US event headline one time expecting Defectors but didnt, of course he played something else, sure enough next turn my lifeline headline event got ... Defectored. Feels like it should be an asterisked event at least!

Anyway, what are the pros thoughts on playing against / with defectors.

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Re: planning for Defectors?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 03:45:47 pm »
+1

As USSR:
Don't care about Defectors except cases in which you plan to headline crucial events: De-Stalinization and Decolonization in Early War, favourable scoring card, etc. Defectors is a card designed to mitigate the Soviet initiative somehow and the best you can do is not to allow it. Try to keep track of this card, if you have this card and don't have anything more urgent, it's sometimes nice to wait with it until 3rd turn to keep it from the re-shuffle but otherwise that's it.

As USA:
Defectors is a timid headline. I prefer headlining something more aggressive, and I usually have better candidates. Occasionaly I headline Defectors anyway when I can't make up a certain plan for the turn. I try not to play Defectors on turn 3 if it didn't show up earlier because when USSR knows that I have Defectors he may headline something nasty into it (preferably a scoring card that is bad for USSR and can't get better). And, of course, never headline Defectors if USSR has a peek-at-headline privilege due to Space Race.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

lambolt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 02:07:44 am »

Don't care about Defectors except cases in which you plan to headline crucial events: De-Stalinization and Decolonization in Early War

I should have been more specific, what do you mean about "care", thats my point, shall I then not play those headlines in case Defectors is there, or what?

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 06:50:13 am »

No, by "don't care" I meant "play as if Defectors hadn't been in the deck"
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 06:57:07 am »
+1

Ask yourself two questions:
1. Is triggering the event I intend to headline crucial? (for example, De-Stalinization before either player has access to South America)
2. Will my had be crippled if I get rid of the card I intend to headline and it gets Defectored? (for example, Red Scare/Purge if you have 10 Ops or less in your other cards)

If you answer "no" to both, headline whatever you wish. If you additionally remember where the Defectors card is, it will hardly ever be problematic for you.

trevaur

• Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 06:17:45 pm »
+1

One of my favorite USSR strategies against Defectors is to headline a US-favored scoring card of a region that you don't feel like contesting. So, for example, if the US has Asia pretty locked down (say you failed the Iran coup with no access to SE Asia), just headline Asia scoring when you get it. You aren't going to accomplish anything in the region, so you get the scoring card out of your hand, and if the US headlines Defectors then they give up like 6+ points. This is why when you're the US and there is still a really good scoring card for you in the deck you probably should not headline Defectors.

Overall though, I think the best way to deal with Defectors as the Soviets is to headline non-essential events. Keep in mind that if the US is headlining Defectors they are giving up a 2 ops card, so if it just cancels a 2 ops event for you then you end up pretty much even. This is why it's so great to headline cards like Vietnam Revolts or Suez Crisis on turn 1. Those events are really great at the start of the game, but lose their value quickly. If they're cancelled, it's not a big deal because if you hadn't tried headlining them then they would only be decent later in the turn instead of awesome as headlines.

lambolt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 09:26:13 am »

tyvm all for the great input

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 10:10:17 am »

If you have a 1 op card with an event worth about 1.5 ops, and a 3 op card with an event worth about 6 ops (like de-stal), headline the 1op one if defectors is out.

Headlining scoring cards whose scoring can't change is a good move, too.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.