Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: USA in the late-midwar  (Read 992 times)

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
USA in the late-midwar
« on: April 07, 2015, 07:05:47 am »

I am still struggling (!) to get to grips with the game (enjoying it, though rather tiring of online fragmented play and have now roped in the missus for F2F play) and still having problems with coping well in the early and early-mid war as the USA but letting the score get out of hand as the mid war winds down, struggling to keep the score down to get into the late war feeling like things are turning, as soon as you get to grips with one thing, then cards like OPEC come out, and then you miss one scoring region and that goes to crap or Muslim Revolution ruins your balance in the middle east, so you're sat pretty, Close to 0 or a handful behind in the mid war and then Before you know it pang you're 10, 12, 14 down Before the late war even begins. I've reeled in using events, I'm spreading a lot more consistently, and I feel like I'm getting a better understanding of the decks and the events and strategies but obviously something is still missing.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? What kinds of Points deficits do you start to feel worried as playing the USA, and whats the biggest deficit you've ever overturned and won (I suppose not including DEFCON wins)?

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Re: USA in the late-midwar
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 04:45:05 pm »

-19 is still possible to be won and +19 is still possible to be lost.

Never "uninclude" DEFCON wins, that's first. Especially when you play USA (there are no Soviet recurring events that are DEFCON-suicidal for USA so the American player may eventually be certain not to lose by DEFCON). The game has its dynamics and this is not a problem to be dealt with. This is a feature to be accepted as a part of the game. Sometimes it's bad luck. But when I faced experiences described by you, it much more often was lack of skills. For example, I was wasting my resources for struggling for a region that was heavily lost anyway, thus losing a chance to improve position in other regions.

Once you had played a thousand of games, you'll learn to recognize the correct regions to be fough for intuitively.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: USA in the late-midwar
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 05:09:45 pm »

Oh I'm not complaining at all, and I only meant "not include DEFCON" because I was interested in point swings, out of curiousity.
I just lost to the wife, me playing USA without extra IP and me suggesting some things to her that any decent player would do, at two points I got the score almost back to 0, I had the threat of wargames looming over me until I got back to -4, but Muslim Revolution twice killed me in the middle east, OPEC twice, and  she got all the big space race points, she almost got to 20 and actually would have done if shed known I held Mid East scoring in Turn 10 - that was a 6 pointer for her but it would have been 10 if shed bumped me out of Lebanon and taken Egypt as she pondered doing, so she finished on -16 not -20. ME was a killer as I had "Ask Not..." canned 5 bad USSR cards and pulled ME scoring, hence it was scored twice including game end, I'd got control of Africa, dominated Asia and Europe, broke even in the Americas due to some crappy luck/play, actually she gained 1 in Central, and 5 in South America so it was -22 in final, then I got back to +1 with Africa, ASIA and Europe, so if I had not pulled ME I would have won on the last turn overcoming .-16, unfortunately that 6 point blow on ME put the final score to -5. Once again though I played the late war swamped in terrible USSR cards, and she spaced all mine and was ahead on the track so picked up big points too. Still a long way to go, but always fun
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.